Question: Heart feels like its beating out of my throat

Ryo - Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:02 pm

Hi there,
I'm a 25 year old male, 6'0", 175lbs., I keep myself in good shape and although I've got mild asthma, puffers aren't necessary. When I was around 21 or so, I experienced some strange heart symptoms that suddenly came out of nowhere. These included skipping beats, rapid beating while at rest, and hard pounding beats while trying to sleep. I went to my family doctor and had all the tests done (EKG, Holter, blood tests, and an echocardiogram) only to find out that all results came back negative and my heart was completely healthy. I even saw a heart specialist, who also told me everything was 100% perfect and I had nothing to worry about. Shortly thereafter, all symptoms stopped. I assumed it was something I grew out of, or some kind of temporary minor short-circuiting, and continued on with life thinking nothing more of it. Jump to a few years later, at the end of December 2003. A couple days before New Year's, I'm at my girlfriend's house and we're sitting watching a movie when her cat (a mean old thing who wants to kill everyone!) jumps on my lap and tries to attack me. This took me by total surprise and half scared me to death, at which point my heart starts freaking out and rapidly beating. I was getting all light-headed and sick to my stomach so I went for a walk outside. After that day, all of my previous symptoms returned. I went back to my family doctor and had the tests done again, minus the echo because the doctor said it wasn't necessary to have one again. Once more, all results were negative and I was told not to worry and everything was perfect. Actually this time my doctor gave me some kind of explanation that perhaps my hormones and/or chemicals dealing with adrenaline get out of whack from time to time and cause my heart palps. But I was reassured that there's nothing wrong and that I don't need to worry. But now on top of that, every night when I go to bed, I can hear my heart pounding through my ears and the blood rushing through them, something that has only started happening since the new year. This is very unnerving as I can hear if my heart skips or starts beating fast, thus getting me all paranoid and unable to sleep which is no good when I have to get up early every morning.
It's been a little more than 4 months since my symptoms came back, they haven't really gone away and every time I think they have, they resurface. I quit smoking when I first experienced them in December hoping it would help, but it hasn't. The only pop I really drink is Sprite, I don't drink coffee, but I have 3-4 cups of tea each day. I'll maybe have fast food once a week. I'm afraid to work out, get excited or stressed, watch a movie or have sex with my girlfriend because almost every time it causes an episode. Sometimes if I run up the stairs too fast, my heart feels like its beating out of my throat, which is ridiculous as its only a few stairs. This isn't right, especially at my age, that I can't do what I want. I don't know what to do, but I'm really fed up with this happening, and each time I get scared and fear I'll have a heart attack or something and die. I don't know how I'm supposed to deal with this for the rest of my life. There has to be SOMETHING I can do to at least reduce or tame these heart symptoms. Can anyone help?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:08 pm

User avatar Dear Ryo,

If your doctor did not check a thyroid test i would advice you to have one.

Regarding your echo results, did you have an absolutely normal heart? Not even mitral valve prolapse?

Whatever you are having is most probably bening and there is nothing to worry about since you have a normal heart and all the blood tests are normal and the symptoms are improving.

Personally, i would advice you to wait and not take any medications and make sure not to worry as whenever you are trying to see whether you have palpitations or not you will become aware of your heart beats and you will start feeling your heart beats whether normal or abnormal and this in itself is very annoying (like hearing your heart beats through your ears at night). It is normal that your heart beats and you are not supposed to feel it unless there is something abnormal about it. But if you concentrate enough and espcially in the right set of mind, you will definitely hear it even if normal.

So, to make a long story short, forget about these symptoms and enjoy your life as most probably there is nothing to it.

Ryo - Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:52 pm

Thanks so much for replying! Regarding your questions, I believe thyroid was checked and everything was fine. I do recall, after having the echo, that the heart specialist said that it looked like sometimes one of my valves doesnt quite close properly, but that its totally normal and safe. I assume this is true and there's nothing I can do about it. Is this what's called mitral valve prolapse?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:49 pm

User avatar Dear Ryo,

Thank you very much for the update.

What you were told does not necessarily apply to the mitral valve alone. But, what you said could mean that you have mitral valve prolapse. Mitral valve prolapse patients can sometime have palpitations.

Once more, there is nothing to worry about.

|