Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Chest Pain/Hard Heart Beats

matt_briggs - Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:51 pm

O.K. For Starters:
I am:
Age: 20
Sex: Male
Past Diag: No Previous Medical History.
4: No Surgeries
5: No Family Health History.
6: No Meds and No Allergies.
I "did" smoke however.. and used to smoked marijuana.. not a drinker at all..

Ok.. well at the beginning of January, i had what i believe was the flu, or a very bad cold.. i even found myself couging in my sleep and my mother waking me up to give me a glass of water. i didnt treat it properly, until about 3 or 4 days befoire it went away.. but after it went away, i started experiencing some chest pains when i breathed heavy.. one night as i was driving home, just before i turned onto my street, i had some very weird attack that i don't know how to describe. i was light headed, very pale, had pain spazms up and down my upper torso and my heart rate hiked and was beating very hard.. i called 911, and upon arriving to the hospital they took my heart rate, and it was 110-145 beats per minute while resting. they gave me ibuprofen and another drug (unsure the name) and after about 20 minutes my heart rate dropped to 80-90 bpm... i have not felt like that since, (january 22nd) but the chest pain stayed and my heart was and still does beat hard, but not necessarily fast... i was told it could be pneumonia because of where i didnt treat my flu well enough.. also told it could be bronchitis, and started taking a bronchiladtor and it has made my chest pains feel much better over time.. but once again my heart does beat hard sometimes, like when i walk up and down steps or start walking in general.. but not fast.. i have an electronic heart monitor/blood pressure monitor at home.. and its usually about 85-90 beats per minute and my blood pressure is about 116/70 usually.. what could this be? ive generally been a very healthy, active guy my whole life? could it be stress or anxiety because i do have an expensive car to pay for and sometimes miss a payment or 2 and i think about it alot?? i have also quit smoking, and smoking marijuana since that weird episode.. please help! thank you!
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:36 am

User avatar Hi.

Your problem most likely seems to be Bronchitis which occured in January after this bout of an Upper respiratory Tract Infection. This is the most likely conclusion.

However to be on safe side one must consider one other much rare possibility and that is Dilated Cardiomyopathy following a viral respiratory infection. To rule this out you need to get an X ray chest, ECG and an Echocardiogram.

Dr. A. Madia.
 matt_briggs - Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:07 am

Hello once again.
well i went to my family doctor the other day.. and she thinks it was the inhaler i was taking that was causing mild chest pains and my heart to beat hard, she also says i looked "stressed".. well of course im going to look stressed because something is wrong with me like this and ive had no previous medical history...

i havent taken it for 3 days now and my heart still beats hard, but not as hard.. something else i wasnt paying attention to; ive been having lots of "gas" lately.. and when i do make a bowel movement, its usually diarrhea and its sometimes difficult to move out, but when i do pass gas, it feels much better inside, for a little bit, before i can feel the gas come back....... and i also find, certain ways i sit, it causes like a slight pain in my chest, then it relaxes when i straighen out.. it makes me timid to drive as well because of the way i sit when i drive, it makes the pain come and go.. any ideas? could it be related to the "gas" ive been having? should i get some chest x-rays, or wait it out? my family doctor listened to my heart and said it sounds fine, other then an extra beat once every 15 or 20 beats or so and she says its not a heart issue.. hmm.. help!!

thanks so much.

Matt..
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:20 pm

User avatar Hello Matt -

The inhaler was probably a part of the problem for sure. The other things you describe relating to bowel movements, gas, etc., would explain a lot of the chest discomforts you feel, as with gas comes bloating or at least distension of the bowel, so that it presses upward, often at one of the flexures on the left or right side, which can irritate the diaphragm and, well, things just kind of work their way up to where you feel the pain in your chest or even your shoulder. It seems like a long way to travel, but this can happen in moments and can be quite disturbing. The gas and other bowel activity can also stimulate your vagus nerve, which probably explains at least some of the occasional "skipped" (actually premature) beats your doctor heard, which really are of no consequence.

Hopefully this helps some. If not, please feel free to ask further questions. Hope you are feeling fine by now.

|