Question: Feel Heart Beat/Stomach/Chest

matt_briggs - Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:26 am

ok, for starters:

20 years old; male
6'3, 155 lbs. (thin)
no previous health history
no family history
no allergies or med's..
no surgeries or diagnosis
smoked for 3 years; pack every 2 days, quit 2 months ago

ok.. in january, i had a bad cold, coughing all the time mainly and stuffy nose.. mom used to wake me up and give me water because i would cough in my sleep and not know it.. anyways, i kind of left it "untreated" until about 4 or 5 days before it passed.. or so i thought it passed..

about 2 days after it passed, i started experiencing chest pains everytime i took a deep breath.. then, about 2 days after this, i was talking to my girlfriend on the phone while driving, and as i was just about to pull onto my street, i had to hang up the phone on her, and it was like i had a panic attack or SOMETHING, of some sort, it came out of NOWHERE..

i could barely move because it would be very uncomfortable and would hurt if i moved too much, i was lightheaded, short of breath, pale, and my heart rate was through the roof.. avg. 125 beats per minute while resting..

i called 911 because i have never experienced anything like that before and it scared me, no idea what it could have been..
but when i got to the hospital, it started to subside, and my chest pain started to die down as well as my heart rate and so on... but from that day forward ive been having minor chest pain here and there throughout the day, everyday; i went to emerg once and had an x-ray done because it was mainly pain on my right side, and x-rays were negative, they said it is probably a strained muscle from coughing so much.. ok, thats fine.... and its not that my heart beats fast, because it doesnt, usually about 70 beats a minute.. but i can almost CONSTANTLY feel my heart beating, even in my wrist and sometimes my neck when doing streneous work.. and i can see my chest move as well as my shirt, almost everytime it look for it, and i am CONSTANTLY thinking about my heart beating hard.. i sometimes have to toss and turn to get a comfortable position in bed, where i can barely feel my heart beat so i can fall asleep.. i have also had trouble in recent weeks making a complete and full bowel movement.. although i have been VERY gassy, and it does help relieve some chest/abdominal pain..

i have been to my family doctor.. she thinks it is withdrawl symptoms from quitting smoking and anxiety/stress.. she listend to my heart and said it sounds "great".. no murmurs, no skipped or extra beats, nothing.. and it may very well be.. but it is constant, everyday and is getting VERY annoying..

i finally got up yesterday, and went to the emergency with my girlfriend, waited for 5 hours, finally got in to see the doctor.. i explained everything to her, she hooked me up to an EKG, a heart monitor AND took my blood work... waited for an hour.. my girlfriend and I watched my BPM the entire time.. varied between 56 and 75 and my blood pressure is around 125/75 or something like that, which i am told is good.. when the results all came back, nothing wrong! everything looked great.. all my cardiac was good, the EKG and the blood work turned up fine.. he said he believes it is withdrawl from smoking as well... but im not buying it at all! these are not usual symptoms for quitting cold turkey are they???

so my MAIN concerns are, what is causing my "awareness" or my heart beats, mainly when sitting or laying down or stand still, my occassionaly chest pain, varies between right and left side, only lasts for a second or 2.. and my bowel movement problem?? is it just anxiety/stress and withdrawl symptoms?
please i need an experts advice! thanks so much!

Matt
 RichardC - Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:12 am

Hi, I'm a 20 year old male. I've posted in this forum before about heart flutters and palpitations and I read your post and can relate in some ways to what you're going through.

The similarities between us are quite the same! I posted on here just over a year ago and I still think about my heart beats, possibily because I let stress get the better of me which isnt always a good thing! The typical factor to rid yourself of this is trying to get your mind off it. I find engrossing yourself in something you find interesting will releave a large part of it. If not all of it! Overtime you may see the sense that you shouldn't have actually been worrying about it at all, and that life is too short to think about it! (As with many of peoples panics). It has worked for me, but my lifestyle just has just not yet accomodated it full time.

Just briefly to explain my situation, and I'm here to help, but I've recently become more concerned about my heart and am likely going to do the EKG similar to you (Just on the safe side). I have had this on and off for about 3 years now, with palpitations and slight to noticable flutters over the period. Palpitations are a rapid increase in heart rate. They cause the heart to beat strongly in your chest and in most cases don't last long before the hearts natural pace returns to normal. In my case, right away. These can be due to drug stimulants such as coffee, stress and the like. My palpitations in particular were due to extreme stress that I exerted on my body, possibly 100% mentally, provoking anxiety which then lead to the extreme levels of stress which affected my heart. I feel now that I am doing it once again. Recently however I have felt more prolonged irregular beats, upto 5 seconds. So yes, in my case I need to just relax a lot and I have also been told that it is connected with stress. My one concern is that I don't want to end up doing anything damaging to my heart in the long term!

If you'd like to find out more about the situation I suffered above you might find my post/replies quite useful in revealing a few answers. http://www.doctorslounge.com/cardiology ... -3153.html

Try to ignore the bit at the end! That was a concern I had, that I believe was quite irrational!

However, I am trying to focus on you. Judging from what you have said I would most likely say that you suffered a palpitation. This is what happened to you in the car when on the phone to your girlfriend. You could have felt a sudden gripping or contraction that lead to the fast onset of beats? Or perhaps it just came on, I don't know as I am not you! :) The good thing I have been told, is that these are nothing to worry about. Obviously if they kept happening it is probably based on your current lifestyle or outlook on what is possibily stressing you? I don't know, you didnt say if you were stressed! However, you said you think about your heart beat all the time? Well, it is likely, just as I do, you're anxious and dwelling on these which is causing you to notice it WAY more than normal. Being in your 20s, its a stress!! I know!! I am 20!! A lot of it is made up in your mind. That doesnt mean you need any psychological help, it just means that you are frightened of the unknown, as I can be a lot of the time, and therefore force yourself to become paranoid.

As I am sure the doctor will say, I doubt very much in this young stage of your life that smoking had any lasting affect on your heart. I am no professional, merely someone who has experienced the same as you. I really would like to hear more from you about how you're getting on because sometimes finding common ground with people can help a lot in talking the problem you face over.

P.S - I don't think that smoking has or had any effect on you. Anxiety in my view can be a more powerful drug than any stimulant if it is pushed that way. I'd really like to know if you suffered from any stress prior to your querry:)

I hope I can be of some use!

RichardC

|