Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: blood coming out of nose and throat

angelforever34 - Tue May 09, 2006 9:48 am

QUESTION: I frequently have blood (mixed in mucus) coming from my nose (for several months), non-stop feeling of pain/pressure and/or like something is stuck up in there and it's always bothering me and take uncontrollable forceful inhalations through my nose. I have not discussed seeing this blood with my doctor. But I have these problems even when I do not have a sinus infection. And I feel like something is more wrong in my nasal passages. Can chronic sinusitis actually cause such nose irritation and this bleeding and inhalations? I have a sleep breathing disorder but if the inhalations were being caused by that, then why would I do it while awake? Also, are there any other treatment options for sinusitis other than long-term use of nasal spray as it seems to just be making things worse. (Thanks!)
SYMPTOMS: blood mixed in the mucus from throat and nose, facial pain,
pressure, numbness, congestion, post nasal drip, headaches, sore throat, middle ear infections, coughing hard and spitting up mucus only when waking up from sleep, forceful inhalations through the nose (when awake and asleep).
ENT diagnosis: TMJ (diagnosis based on pain issues - they did not review any of my medical records)
MD diagnosis: chronic sinusitis
TESTS done: sleep study
DIAGNOSIS - UARS with decreased breathing TREATMENT: antibiotics as needed, flonase (till death do us part) and waiting for Cpap therapy.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed May 10, 2006 2:37 pm

User avatar Hi angelforever34,
You should certainly make your physician aware of the additional symptoms. Other than the sleep study, have any other diagnostics been completed, ie, xrays, CT Scan, MRI, etc., to identify any underlying abnormality such as nasal polyps, deviated septum, etc. etc.? Has there ever been any mention regarding normal saline nasal irrigations as there have been promising outcomes with chronic sinusitis etc.?
 angelforever34 - Wed May 10, 2006 4:40 pm

I haven't had any x-rays or other tests (except the sleep study). I went to an ENT hoping for such and hoping to find out why I have this breathing problem through my nose but he didn't do anything other than tell me I looked fine, trying to tell me I had TMJ and sends me home with no follow up appt. Can you really exclude sinusitis from only one physical exam? The doctor that sent me to him said that he was positive that's what was wrong. This doctor did not even bother getting my medical records to see what I was saying was true and in the same breath didn't believe a word I said. I know that because he didn't do anything to try and help. The only thing I can figure out is it's because I take antidepressants and he was just being a total A-hole because of it. Some doctors (god only knows why) automatically assume if your depressed, then it's all in your head. I've been told by another doctor that chronic sinusitis is just something you have to live with. I have not ever heard of saline nasal irrigations. What exactly is it? ps thanks for the information..
 angelforever34 - Wed May 10, 2006 5:28 pm

Come to think of it, my brother had surgery for a deviated septum with almost identical symptoms of mine except for the blood ~ and his sleep problem was severe apnea. I know he had breathing problems while awake too but I'm not sure if it's like what I'm doing. I guess I figured he was just gasping.. I'll definetly have to ask. Can a deviated septum even be hereditary?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 11, 2006 8:39 am

User avatar Hi angelforever34,
Much of the population have a deviated septum but when it is a very mild deviation, there may not be any symptoms at all. Deviations may be caused by injury to the area, congenital defects, etc. A severe deviation may cause a feeling of a blocked nostril, make one more prone to nosebleeds, and may cause inflammation in the sinuses (sinusitis) because drainage does not occur properly. Deviations may also causes breathing problems including playing a role in obstructive sleep apnea. Nasal irrigations are typically done twice a day by using salt water and irrigating the sinuses with a bulb syringe. This actually clears sinus congestion and promotes healing of inflammed tissues. I would suggest inquiring with your physician about some diagnostic studies, the possibility a deviation contributing to your symptoms and the advantages of nasal irrigations in alleviating some of your symptoms. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.

|