News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Cardiology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Cardiology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Pins and Needles in left hand

Andrew Lawrence - Thu Dec 28, 2006 2:41 pm

I am a 58 year old male and a smoker, height/weight are proportional. In the last week I have noticed pronounced pins and needles in my left hand, primarily in thumb and index finger and a sense of numbness in left arm. Blood pressure on average is 134 over 74. There is no family history of heart problems. I currently take "Voltarin" .75 mb once daily for arthritis in the knees. Are these symptoms something I should be worried about?

Sincerely,
Andrew Lawrence
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:24 pm

User avatar Hello,

Numbness or tingling in your hand and fingers, especially the thumb and index and middle fingers.
Pain in your wrist, palm or forearm.
These are typical symptoms for Carpal tunnel syndrome

It is usually due to increase pressure on the median nerve and tendons in the carpal tunnel and not due to an injury in the nerve itself.

The carpal tunnel is smaller in some people leading to congenital predisposition to the syndrome.

Factors involved in the disorder include :
- Direct trauma or injury to the wrist resulting in swelling swelling,.
- Swellings due to hormonal disturbances like pituitary gland hyperactivity; Hypothyroidism; rheumatoid Arthritis;
- Work stress , repetitive movement can cause tendinitis.
- Fluid retention due to hormonal changes like in pregnancy.
- a cyst or tumor formation in the canal.
- In some cases there is no apparent cause.

Treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome is preferred to start as early as possible. Underlying causes should be treated first.

General measures include:
Rest of the affected hand and wrist for at least 2 weeks and immobilizing the wrist in a splint to avoid further damage from twisting or bending.
- Use of cool to reduce swellings if any is present.
- medications like NSAID
- Finally surgery is recommended to complicated persistent cases for 6 month after conservative measures.

I advise you to seek neurological consultation.
Direct clinical examination is essential.

Keep us updated.
Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here