Forum Name: Cardiology Diagnostics

Question: Heart rate after exercise

kinko - Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:00 pm

Recently I have decided to start exercising. For a week, I have been jogging for 10 minutes a day and I plan to extend this 10 minutes every week until I reach the point where I am exercising an hour a day. I have not exercised in over a year, and when I started a few days ago, I realized that it took a while for my heart rate to decrease after exercise. My resting heart rate is from 70 to 85, and sometimes it goes up to 90. Whenever I exercise, my heart rate is anywhere from 160 to 190, but sometimes it gets awfully close to 200 but generally stays around a 180. However, this worries me, considering that I am not doing a rigorous exercise. Also, after a few minutes after exercise, my heart rate goes down to a 90. However, it takes a while, usually about an hour and a half to go back to the 80's. This also worries me because according to most medical sources, it states that heart rate goes back to normal within minutes. Also two months ago I went to the doctor because I was feeling fluttering sensations in my chest, and they gave me an ECG, and they said my heart was normal and my heart rate was around a 88.
Would you suggest continuing my exercise, and should I be worried about my fast heart rate? Sometimes, I feel a very weak pain in the center of my chest which goes away when I slow down a little bit. Should I be worried? And will my heart become stronger and beat slower as a result of continuous exercise over time? Sorry this is so long but I have many questions. Please respond to me asap and if possible, please e mail your response to KentaroMiura89@AOL.com .

Worried

"Kinko"
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:29 am

Your maximum heart rate is about 220 minus your age (thats your max or 100%). Your heart rate zone during exercise should be 100-150 beats per minute (50%-75%). You are right to pace yourself since you have been inactive for so long.

When starting an exercise program, aim at the lowest part of your target zone (50 percent) during the first few weeks. Gradually build up to the higher part of your target zone (75 percent). After six months or more of regular exercise, you may be able to exercise comfortably at up to 85 percent of your maximum heart rate. However, you don't have to exercise that hard to stay in shape.
These figures are averages, so use them as general guidelines.

So it seems that your working too hard and should reduce the intensity of your exercise at least for now.

|