Forum Name: Clots & Anticoagulants

Question: Large bruise that burns when touched

rustymoch - Fri May 18, 2007 2:16 pm

I had a small motorcycle fall on my right let 5 days ago and have a very large bruise (8-10 inches) I went to the doctor 2 days ago for blood test and x-rays and everything looked fine. Now I have very strong burning pains that runs through my leg where the bruise is especially where it is still swollen from a dried pocket of blood. What is the cause of this burning sensation?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:43 pm

User avatar Hi there - What you've got there is a really large bruise, and some of the blood has infiltrated the tissues because of the sheer size (and apparent depth) of it. This can really irritate nerves that serve the area, and the burning sensation should slowly go away as the bruise dissipates. If it doesn't, or if the leg becomes more painful, you might need to have it looked at again, as an infection could possibly develop in a bruised area of that size, although it is unlikely.

Good luck to you. Hope you are feeling much better by now.

|