Question: Chest pain above left breast

clv79 - Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:31 pm

For at least two weeks, maybe longer, I've had a pinching pain on the left side of my chest above my breast and slightly off to the side. It only last a few seconds, and it usually only happens once or twice. Today, I noticed it on several separate occasions, and today it hurt more. Twice, it sort of ached with my pulse three of four times.

I was diagnosed with premature ventricular contractions when I was pregnant two years ago, but I only notice it when I'm anxious or exercising. Could this be related?
I'm pregnant again, but only five weeks (so I'm really concerned that there is something wrong with my heart!).

I also have GERD and a hiatal hernia, but my heartburn pain is usually pretty easy to distinguish, as it is a burning sensation and is right in the middle of my chest.

I just lowered my cholesterol from 234 to 201, and my BP is usually in the 120's over 80's (since having my daughter 2 years ago).

PLEASE get back to me soon. This is really worrying me.
 Dr. A. Madia - Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:36 pm

The type of pain that you describe has generally nothing to do with the heart. Heart pains are generally dull-aching, last longer than what you describe, usually come on after exertion-unless it is a heart attack- and are not localized as in your case.

A few premature ventricular contractions are always innocent and to be ignored. Pregnancy could trigger them because of the pressure of full uterus on the lower surface of the heart thru diaphragm.

I suggest you get in touch with your physician and an EKG if he thinks fit just to be on the safer side.

Apurva.

|