Forum Name: Miscellaneous Cardiology Topics

Question: Pressure near my heart..is it trapped wind???

chris77 - Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:33 pm

for the past few weeks ive had pressure near or around my heart.it feels like trapped wind because i can hear it gurgle before it goes away.this is causing panic and anxiety,i am constantly aware of my heartbeat and its takin over my life. i feel ok in myself but the pressure makes my heart feel like its struggling to beat sometimes.i drink around 4 cans of lager evry night,could this be connected? if it is trapped wind how can it get near my heart? if u could help me with this i would be greatfull it might settle my nerves Thanks
 Dr. A. Madia - Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:50 am

Since you are having pressure symptoms in your chest I would advice you to immediately check with your doctor and get necessary tests like EKG and blood work done.

However excess gas in the stomach or intestine definitely can cause heaviness in chest, it can put pressure on the heart through the diaphragm and cause the heart to skip a bit too!. Add to this some anxiety and the heart will beat faster and with more force.

Four cans of lager a day is far on higher side in my view and you must cut it down by half. Beer itself is known to cause gas in some individuals. I see from your profile you are on two antidepressants. I have a small piece of advice for you. Please cut down on beer and start exercizing vigorously on a regular basis. This will go a long way toning up your body and increasing the vagal tone of the heart and then your heart will not skip the beats or give you the feeling of thumping. Exercise is known to relieve anxiety and depression too.

Take care,

Apurva

|