Question: Periodic heart rate of over 200 bpm

grumplefuz - Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:44 pm

Last night my husband had another episode where his heart went crazy. It lasted about 25 minutes. I tried to take his pulse but it was off the charts. It happens periodically. Mostly when he exerts himself with strenuous physical activity, or when he is nervous. It isn't a "rapid heart rate" it's like his heart gets stuck. He gets clammy and nervous, and eventually if he bears down and beats his chest, he will get dizzy and can feel it fall back into a normal beat. He does not smoke, and doesn't drink caffiene. He has had an ekg that reads normal.

The odd thing is that it has happened to me twice as well. I had to go to the ER and have a shot that stopped and restarted my heart back into normal rhythm.

What causes this? Is it dangerous? and is it possible there is something in our house, etc. that would cause both of us to experience such a scary thing?
 Dr. Heba Ismail - Thu Oct 28, 2004 3:09 pm

Dear grumplefuz,
There are a number of tachyarrythmias (rapid and disturbed heart rythm) that could present with a heart rate over 200 bpm and with the symptoms you've described.
A simple EKG is not enough. I would suggest a Holter EKG if you haven't already had one done. This would monitor the heart rythm throughout the day. Discuss this with your doctor and inform me with the results.

|