Question: thumping feeling in chest?

jmcman13 - Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:42 pm

I am a 26 yr old male, I train alot of cardio, in which I never have any problems (I do mixed martial arts and never feel dizzy, nausea, etc.) For the past year on and off, I get random thumping feelings in my chest, like a harder heartbeat, more to the left side. Now sometimes it is followed by a burp, but not always. I do notice that I have alot of gas (burping) regularly. Anyway, when I feel my pulse when these "thumping feelings are going on, i can feel it. Its almost as if the beats stop for a split second, then there is one strong one before going back to normal.
What can this be? Can gas affect my heartbeats, or am I just feeling gas and thinking its my heartbeats? Can it be something entirely different? Again I have no other symptoms, I train alot of cardio and never have any problems. If it was something serious, wouldnt I have a hard time doing cardio? I appreciate all your feedback. Thank you.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:55 pm

Welcome to the club. We all have premature heartbeats from time to time, but many of us aren't aware of them, and then one day -- there they are. It's unclear why they become perceptable suddenly, but that's almost certainly what you're feeling. Something momentarily irritates the heart muscle (which is sensitive anyway, and doesn't like to be "touched" internally). So something (caffeine, nicotine, fatigue, adrenaline, gas -- yes, gas -- etc.), makes a small area of heart muscle annoyed, and this triggers a premature beat. What happens next, in a normal heart, is a slight pause, so that the overall rhythm stays regular. It's like when a drummer misses a beat and, instead of sending the whole band off on a diffferent tempo, he waits a split second, then picks up the orignal rhythm. This is actually a normal, good and even healthy thing, but when felt by a person, it can be disturbing. However, it's really common and normal. And yes, gas can definitely cause these little "blips", as can digestion itself. Exercise generally makes these things go away, but they can start up at rest, especially after eating, falling asleep, or when there's gas crowding the heart.

I hope this answers your question and eases your mind. Best of luck to you.
 jmcman13 - Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:59 pm

Thank you Mr. kenyon for your reply. Is it safe to say that if I truely had a heart problem/disease, that doing extensive cardio would show some kind of side affect (nausea, dizziness, etc)?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:16 pm

User avatar You're very welcome, and yes, I think it would be very safe to say that (reversing the order of your example) that your excellent exercise tolerance is a good example of why you can consider yourself healthy. It's very likely any significant heart problem would, indeed, give itself away by causing more distinct and unusual symptoms such as nausea, lightheadedness, and, of course, chest pain.

|