Forum Name: Valvular Heart Diseases

Question: Left of Body Bubbling and Popping Sounds

makado1967 - Sun Nov 02, 2008 7:52 am

I initially went to get a diagnosis for chest discomfort, racing heart beat, numb arms and fingers and bubbling and gurgling sounds all up and down the left side of my body.

At the time I went to the doctor , she eliminated any heart condition or fluid in lungs. My blood pressure was only 133/90. Just said anxiety. So I'll be incorporating relaxation techniques in my routine.

But everyday everynight STILL I am hearing bubbling and gurgling and popping sounds on the left side of my body, sometimes under my breast, and 98% of the time the bubbling is heard ONLY on my left side in between the area under my left armpit down the my pelvic bone. So I don't know what all organs are there, I guess my spleen, abdomen, etc, but if you can pinpoint what these symptoms might be.

The doctor of course did not hear any of those noises and just asked me was I moving my bowels regularly and yes I am. No stress or strain. The bubbles never come out in the form of gas, they just travel up and down along the left side of my body, making noises and being irritatins. Now I feel a heaviness in that area much like I would feel when you have the pressure in my chest, but THERE IS NO PAIN.

So what could this be?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:31 pm

While it's of course impossible to say with certainty at a distance and without any imaging studies, that there is nothing really bizarre going on, but it is, needless to say, unlikely. Usually when these sorts of symptoms occur on the left side (right side, too, but more often on the left), it is because there is not only one's stomach largely located beneath the left breast, but the splenic flexure of the colon is also over there. Gastric and intestinal contents can be heard more clearly in some people than others, for various innocent reasons, and a lot goes on over on the left between the hip and the breast, in the fundus of the stomach and that last sharp turn in the colon. Lots of peristalsis can cause lots of sounds, even if there is no gas passed (and a lot of gas is disbursed osmotically anyway, so may not be passed via the obvious routes). In other words, for certain individuals this is normal.

I hope this is helpful to you. If you have any further questions or any other information to add, please contact us here. Good luck to you.
 makado1967 - Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:33 am

Ok thank you that was very medical.

Why is it happening to me. This only started within the last month. So its not normal for me. It is still going on today, popping, bubbling. What are the causes and what are the cures?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:24 pm

User avatar Hello again -

Since this has started recently, you may be having some symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. This is something that can create a lot of noise at that turn in the gut, which is often audible at some distance. Adding a fiber supplement to your diet may possibly help quiet things down, although doing so many times will actually cause the very problem you're concerned about now in people who've had other GI complaints but not the noises.

Needless to say, if it continues to trouble you, the best thing you can do is to be seen by an MD, preferably a GI specialist.

|