Question: Dizzy when I tilt my head back

mahart - Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:38 pm

I am a 25 year old male. I do not exercise though I have been thinking about doing some running. I rarely drink, I don't smoke, I don't drink caffeine. In fact the past couple of months I have been drinking almost nothing but water.
A couple of months ago started getting very dizzy when I would tilt my head back or when I would lay down and roll side to side. I also had a ringing in my left ear at one point and some pressure directly in front of my left ear. This lasted for about 18 hours, when I went to see a doctor he told me it was probably a viral ear infection and not to worry about it. To be specific the dizziness was a feeling like I would fall over and not a feeling of motion. Anyway the dizziness has not happened since but a couple of days later I started getting some chest pain. It was dull and sort of localized to the center of my chest. This would come and go and again I would try not to worry about it, though sometimes I did freak a little. This lasted maybe three weeks off and on. I also was getting a swelling feeling in my throat sometimes. It never seriously interfered with breathing or swallowing but it made it a bit more difficult to swallow at times, this has been an occasional problem even currently.
One night about a month ago I felt my heart beating very hard and fast and my right arm was a little numb. I was pretty freaked out by this and went to the doctor in the morning. They did an EKG and took some blood and checked my red and white blood cells and my hemoglobin as well as some other stuff. Anyway it was all normal. I went to another doctor and got some other blood tests inluding checking my thyroid and everything was normal except for my Bilirubin which is 2.3. If you need to know all of the blood results I will type them but there is a lot.
I have had continuing problems with the palpitations. I notice that I get them almost every morning when I wake up and they seem to come and go randomly whether I am sitting watching tv or out walking around. My arm still gets a little numb on occasion and it is almost always my right arm, though it was in both one time. I have felt some fatigue off and on for about a month now. Also on what I would imagine is a completely unrelated note I chronically get hemorrhoids and have off and on for probably 5 years. Sometimes there is some bright red blood on the toilet paper and sometimes it hurts a bit but it has never been bad enough to get me into a doctor for it. I do have one now and there has been blood on the toilet paper but none in the toilet. Anyway they come and go and while a pain in the backside I don't worry about them. That is all the symptoms I can think of but I will update if I remember more. Anyway I am aware that this could just be anxiety and/or depression and I am willing to consider both since I have been out of college for over a year now and I am still unable to find a job and am living with my parents again. However I have certainly felt more anxiety in the past as well as being more depressed before with no symptoms. In fact I would say the main source of anxiety right now is these symptoms which lately I have not really worried about at all. I do not have health insurance and have already spent too much on blood tests and doctor visits and now I have been told to see a cardiologist. I really can't afford to do this Any advice expecially from a doctor would be appreciated.
 mahart - Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:37 pm

just remembered that a couple of weeks ago when I urinated the last drop was pink. Happened once before about six months ago but those are the only times. Don't know if that matters.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:16 pm

User avatar Dear Mahart,

You don't have any major risk factors for coronary disease and the pain that you describe is atypical (as compared to that of chest pain caused by coronary diseae), so the probability that this pain is due to coronary disease is very low.

Would you please elaborate more on what you mean by palpitations? What are the characteristics of these palpitations?

i think you had all the blood tests needed and all came back normal. i think the next best test to do is an echocardiogram (ultrasound of the heart) to exclude a condition called mitral valve prolapse which is known to cause atypical chest pain and palpitations in young healthy individuals.

Numbness in your right arm makes me think that there could be an element of neck problems that might be causing the chest discomfort and the right arm numbness. Another cause of chest pain could be acid reflux disease.

mahart - Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:55 pm

First I would like to thank you for replying. The palpitations I speak of are just a fast hard heart beat. As if I just ran a mile except I've done nothing strenuous at all. Sometimes if I'm laying down and have something sitting on my chest I can actually see it thumping up and down. At times my heart rate may seem a little abnormal, though I don't know how much variation is normal to begin with. It will be beating fast and then slow for a few beats and then speed up again. I had thought about acid reflux and was taking maalox whenever I had the chest pain. It never helped but then I was freaking a bit when I was getting that so who knows. Anyway I havn't had the chest pain in about a month now.

Could the high bilirubin have anything to do with this or is that something totally unrelated. My doctor didn't seem concerned with it. Also what do you mean by a neck problem. Could it be something as simple as sleeping in a weird position or something. I do recall my neck feeling stiff the night that I got the dizziness. And as I said I have been getting a swelling feeling in my throat. The numb arm mainly only happened that one night that I was having the bad palpitations. It has occured a couple of times since then but never as serious. I think its been 2 or 3 weeks since I've noticed it happening. The only thing now is that it just seems like my arms go to sleep a little more easily. If I hold an arm over my head in any weird position it goes to sleep pretty quick which it never used to do.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:21 pm

User avatar Dear Mahart,

Thank you very much for the update.

Maalox could not be strong enough to neutralize the acid, but since you have not had the chest pain in a while now, no need to use anything else.

A neck problem is a problem of the cervical spine such as a prolapsed disc. i don't think you have to worry about this new symptom of your hands being numb faster than they used to.

If these palpitations continue, in addition to having the echocardiogram to rule out mitral valve prolapse, i suggest a 24 hours heart monitor to know exactly what type of arryhthmias you have and what is their pattern and how long they last and what activities are related to them (if any).

|