Question: Dull ache in left forearm

sj - Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:07 pm

over the last few days, i've noticed a strange, dull ache in the area of my left wrist and forearm. i'm not quite sure if there is a numbness or tingling, but there is a dull achy feeling that seems to come and go in waves. i'm having some difficulty further describing this ache since it is vague.

i seem to have no chest discomfort or pain, but i am worried if this could be a cardiac problem. i'm in my early twenties and have no other health problems. i am slightly overweight according to my BMI; i do not perform daily exercise, but i watch my diet; and i do have a hectic daily routine.

can you please let me know what this could be, if it's heart related, and if i should be worried?

thanks so much.
 Faye Lang, RN, MSW - Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm

Hello sj,

The publicized cardiac symptom of pain radiating down the left arm generally involves the entire arm and the pain is generally constant. Having the pain localized in the lower arm and happening in waves would not immediately suggest cardiac involvement. Of course, there are atypical events, so checking with one's doctor is always best. A hectic daily routine may be a contributor, particularly if repeated use of the left hand is required, such as with carpal tunnel syndrome or other neurological effect. If there is swelling, periods of ice applications may be indicated. If the problem persists, please see your doctor for evaluation. I hope this is helpful to you.

|