Question: Are these symptoms of Heart Problems I should worry about?

obsoleet - Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:47 pm

For the past year I have experienced times during excitement, like when i'm about to win a hand of poker, or when I see something scary, or even resting sometimes my heart feels like its pounding slow and very hard and my body feels heavy. Sometimes I will be lying in bed watching tv and It just feels like its pounding so hard but not fast. I get this sensation all over my body that just feels heavy and short of breath. It tends to go away after a couple minutes. Am I just really out of shape or could there be a condition? I also sometimes get a feeling like someone is poking me hard in the center of my chest about half an inch to the left of center of my rib cage over my heart. its not a sharp pain just a dull kind of burning pressure sensation. I am 5'11'' and 174 lbs so i'm not very overweight. I have no insurance so i can't afford to go to a doctor unless it is absolutely necessary. Any Ideas?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:40 am

Dear Obsoleet,

I think it's a matter of anxiety and it's all phsycological, do u drink alot of cofee or tea...do u smoke?do you have any special habits of medical importance?does any member of your family have a heart disease? do u have this pain during exercise?

I think it's nothing to worry about. ... if you're too concerned.. you can just do a stress ECG test or even a normal ECG ...just to have a base line for your heart's electrical activity.
 obsoleet - Sat Apr 16, 2005 11:36 am

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond to my question so promptly Dr.Wafaa Abdel-Hadi. I have smoked for a few years, socially while out at bars. I gave it up and haven't smoked for almost 4 months now. Noone in my family has a heart disease although my mother had arrythimias and had some surgery for it. I don't recall having this pain during exercise since its been so long that I have... I should probably start. lol But when I run for a bit i get out of breath easily.

I'm thinking about chalking it up to being out of shape and Anxiety especially since I've been experiencing anxiety lately in the mornings when I awake and at work, I don't qualify for medical insurance for another 30 days at work. How much do those tests you recommended cost around without insurance?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:10 am

Dear Obsoleet,

you are more than welcome ofcourse:-)

well, you're too young for heart diseases at this age...although...it can happen (Anything can happen these days!) BUT...i still think it's a matter of anxiety.... Since you haven't exercised for a very long time...it's very common to get short of breath....I think you should start forcing exercise into your life...actually we should all do that :wink:

and when you start exercising, take it easy...don't run for 3 kilometres in your first day ,ok:-)?!?!

anyway, back to our issue....what type of operation did you mother have?!

I don't know how much it can cost in your country,but you can wait till you get your insurance back,there is no rush...and your symptoms are not that alarming( if you know what i mean)... may be when you lead a healthy life style...healthy food (low fat),excersie, less stress,no smoking,etc...you might not feel this pain again.

|