Question: Dull ache in chest

Dreama - Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:59 pm

About a month and a half ago I started having a lot of gas with sharp chest pains, then one day I'm sitting at my computer and I have this intense heat come over the right side of my face around my ear and beside my eye. I go to the ER and they did an EKG and ran some blood tests, all of which came back normal. I went to the doctor for my follow up visit that weekend and they ran some more blood tests all of which also came back normal except for my cholesterol which was 241 and my Sed Rate which was 41. They put me on steroids for 1 weeks. During the first 2 or 3 days I felt great! I have pain in my knees and for those few days my knees didn't hurt I actually could climb my stairs and walk without pain, I was over joyed to the point of tears. Anyway, My chest seems to have this dull ache in the center most of the time maybe slightly to the left near the top of my breast. It does NOT extend to my arms or my neck. I have pain in my neck from time to time but it's the opposite side and I know that's from computer use. I get strange sharp pains in both my arms from time to time but also feel that's from computer use. But the dull ache in my chest bothers me and worries me. I have NO shortness of breath, but seem to get bloated easily nomatter what I eat or how much I eat or little I eat. I'm 36 years old. I do not smoke, never have. I have great blood pressure despite the fact I'm over weight and I do not work, I use my computer a lot so I don't move around as much as I should. I do not drink except on a rare occassion, maybe once every couple months if that much. This dull ache in my chest has me concerned. My doctor knows about it and doesn't seem to be too concerned. He sent me for an MRI but I don't like closed spaces so couldn't do it, not even an open MRI and he just told me watch my symptoms and if the pain beside my head comes back to go to the ER, otherwise he said he'd see me in 3 months. Should I mention the chest pain and go back in sooner or am I being symptomatic? My dad passed away 3 months ago from a massive heart attack and I admit it makes me worry about msyelf. When he first died I ate all the things he did trying to kill myself, but of course have since come to my senses. Should I be worried? The pain does not get worse with exercise although I can't walk as much as I'd like without getting short of breath but usually a few minutes rest and I can keep going. Any help is much appreciated anything to put my mind and my chest at ease. It's not painful, but has become annoying?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Fri Jul 15, 2005 5:34 pm

User avatar Obviously, I cannot rule out something as dangerous as a cardiac cause for your chest pain over the internet, but according to your description this chest pain is probably not secondary to coronary disease.

You could possibly be suffering from GERD (acid reflux disease); it often presents as chest pain, either dull, aching or burning. Ask your doctor about trying some medication for that.

Also, you may be suffering from anxiety, which can produce the gas, bloating, chest discomfort, shortness of breath, and many other symptoms. You may want to consider seeing your doctor or psychiatrist to be evaluated.

|