Question: Tingling in left side of chest

dwax - Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:26 pm

I tried searching the forums but did not see any symptoms that match what I am experiencing.

For the past 2 days I have been experiencing a tingling sensation on the left side of my chest. This sensation occurs when I cough and at random times throughout the day. The tingling feels like it is on my skin and only lasts for a couple seconds. I am able to take deep breathes without any pain.

I got into a car accident a couple weeks ago (hit head on) and experienced some soreness in my chest for a couple days afterwards. I have felt completely fine up until this tingling that started yesterday.

Any ideas on what this may be?

Thanks for your help!

-Dave
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:11 pm

User avatar Dear Dave,
Cough and soreness for couple of weeks may be a cause of muscle exertion. Muscle strain and spasm are sometimes felt as pain and tenderness while movement. Diminished range of movement is usually a presenting symptom in cases with muscle spasm. This might explain why the pain is felt while you are coughing as the muscles contract and become more painful.
Anxiety and rapid breathing if present are known causes of chest pain, probably due to exertion of the respiratory muscles, hyperventilation effect and nerve pain. In this case the pain is usually felt as pressure inside the chest that radiate to the neck and shoulders all around the sides and the back. And is sometimes associated with the feeling of numbness around lips, hands and shoulders. In this case all what would help you is to lie down, relax and try to slow the rate of breathing. Breathing also inside a bag kept loosely around nose and mouth would improve the symptoms. I should emphasize that this diagnosis is made primarily after exclusion of all other causes of chest pain by careful history taking and physical examination by your physician, in addition to all the required investigations.
If the symptoms are getting more frequent or severe , I advise you to visit your doctor to be investigated properly.

|