Question: Chest Pain and Elevated D-Dimer

kwdreams - Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:55 pm

I am a 34 female, otherwise healthy. Chest pain for 3 weeks. The pain is in the center and entire chest feels very tight (like a heavy weight) some shortness of breath. Went to ER and had a full work up. The only test to come back positve was an elevated D-Dimer. My chest ct came back negative for a PE. Left ER with no answers.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:25 am

User avatar Hi kwdreams,
Elevations in this particular test may indicate numerous conditions such as recent trauma or surgery in the previous three months, infection, blood clots anywhere in the body, malignancies, etc. How elevated was your D-Dimer? Do you have any redness, swelling, pain in the legs (specifically in your calf muscles) Was there a suggested followup to your primary care physician?
 elfmoogle - Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:24 pm

I had an elevated or rather an abnormal d-dimer test with my first PE, and they did not see a PE on the CT scan. Rather, the CT was inconclusive. They had to go all the way to a pulmonary angiogram to find the PE. I am not anyone with medical expertise, just a fellow patient, but did they do any other imaging studies? A V/Q scan, perhaps? That was what led them to continue searching for a PE on me, because it did not rule one out, but it did not absolutely make it positive for one either. My clot was very small, but I had a lot of hemoptysis with it - no shortness of breath or chest pain or anything. The second time they found them on the CT with no problem, and I did have chest pain, rather in my back.

|