News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Constant Chest/Back Tingling and Pain

xyzyx - Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:09 pm

I am an eighteen year old male, when I was young I was diagnosed with asthma, however when I was 7 my doctor took me off medication.

For the past four or so months I have had a constant pain that is very similar to a tingling sensation in my upper chest (on both sides but primarily the right side) extending to the bottom of my rib cage and also on my back, I also experience sudden instances of a sharp pain in my chest and back. I saw a doctor for this and was given an EKG as well as an X-Ray of my lungs, the doctor said that both looked perfectly normal. I used to smoke infrequently for a year or so (maybe 4 cigarettes a week) but have since quit. I experience no trouble breathing and the pain has never restricted me from participating in very physical activities such as basketball or running, which I do a couple times per week.

I am interested in knowing possibly what is the cause for this and how I can treat it.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:12 am

User avatar Hi.

Your chest 'pain' is surely not of cardiac origin. This type of vague chest symptom is difficult to classify but mostly it is either muscular, or from the ribs, or its is related to the nerves passing thru your chest wall etc.

The best course of action is to ignore it and it will probably go away on its own.

Dr. A Madia.
 rdumais - Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:56 pm

I know this is an old post, but wow! It surely describes my symptoms over the past several months. I have benign chest wall pain for years, and have had stress chests, EKGs, echocardiogram, troponin tests and the such that have all turned out fine. Other a than a one week episode of frequent supraventricular tachycardia in 2007 (treated with total effectiveness with metroprolol succinate), I have never had cardiac issues other than some occasional daily premature atrial contractions & a few premature ventricular contractions. I do have elevated LDL lipid profile, so take 5 mg Crestor for that after having a bad muscle reaction to Simvastatin at 40mg several years back.
Last year, I had occasions of terrible shooting pain from under my left arm, my left side, and down my left tricep whenever I would reach or extend my left arm in certain ways (such as reaching behind to back seat in the car). The back MRI showed some lower level disk deterioration in parts of my cervical and lumbar areas, most noticeably c5-c8 areas. The recent EMG test wasn't highly conclusive, other than noting some c8 radiculopathy (left distal region and tricep weakened). I will be having a cervical epidural sometime in next month. I work at a computer everyday, and I am sure this makes it worse. I get a lot of tension/sinus headaches and pressure on many days along with the back/chest discomfort.

I started getting some heartburn/GERD symptomsd over the past several months as well, so my neurologist suspects it may overlap with the cervical symptoms (put me on some protonix about 2 weeks ago). My current symptoms are just like thos in this original post, and have been for many months. Totally atypical for cardiac, although scary sometimes. The protonix sems to help with the indigestion/heartburn, although I still get daily burning & pinchy sensations in my esophagus/pharynx and even neck/mouth/nose areas! Hard to describe. Mostly right side, but not always. Quite irritated- maybe esophagitis? Then at the same time, my back is always tight and sore. All of these symptoms are worse when sitting for an extended period, versus when I am standing and active. Sometimes my upper chest muscles hurt if I run really hard in colder weather, but usually exercise makes everything feel better. Standing is definately better than sitting. The whole back/chest/sinus/headache and maybe even upper abdominal regions always feel connected in some way when I have such pains. Kind of weird- probably mostly muscle and neural,with some gastric and even sinus connection (I get lots of post nasal drip and wear a mouthsplint at night to help with snoring/possible apnea symptoms).

One final thought on all this- I had a numb/tingly and whitish looking tongue for many months about 1/2 year ago. The dentists did not think thrush/candida- rather they thought it was the Pro Health toothpaste. I switched toothpaste and things got better with the tongue but then all these esophagus/throat area things began. Is gthere any chance I may have really had a candida yeat infection on the tongue that somehow infected the esophagus area, causing esophagitis? It sounds rare since I am healthy with no known cancer, HIV, or immune disorders. Nonetheless...

Thanks! I would love to know how things with the original poster have worked out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here