Question: chest pain on right side, especially during deep breath

brobob - Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:19 am

I am a 30 year old male, non smoker. For a few days, I have had a dull pain on the right side of my chest area near the center of my rib cage. It worsens when I take a deep breath and becomes more of a sharp pain. The area is tender to the touch but there is no visible bruising. I have had some slight shortness of breath since it is painful to take deep breaths. The pain seems worse when I am sitting rather than standing and I was unable to sleep on my right side. About 12 years ago, I had a spontaneous pnuemothorax. Could this be a recurrance or does it sound more like a muscle strain? I haven't done anything out of the ordinary lately?

Thanks for any help.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:43 pm

User avatar The symptoms you are describing are likely due to costochondritis. The area you are having your pain in is the area where the rib bone becomes cartilage. This area is susceptible to inflammation producing the pain.

Costochondritis is typically diagnosed by pressing on the affected area. If it causes the same pain, then this is the diagnosis. If one presses on the painful area and the pain is not recreated it is unlikely to be this.

Ibuprofen or other anti-inflammatory medication is the pain medicine of choice. If this doesn't help or if the pain continues for more than a day or so, I recommend you be evaluated by your doctor.

Hope this helps.

|