Forum Name: Asthma

Question: acute asthmatic bronchitis - Recovery time

momoftwo_texas - Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:19 pm

Four years ago my family doctor told me I needed to quit smoking when he diagnosed me with astmatic bronchitis. I did not. I have since then wised up and have quit smoking. I have now been smoke free for 25 days and I am never going back. I quit ironically on New Years day. I layed in bed all day on January the 2nd wheezing, even going to the bathroom would make me breathe like I was running a marathon. That day it was either talk or breathe and every breath had a wheeze with it.
I went to the ER on that day. I was diagnosed with acute asthmatic bronchitis and an upper respiratory infection. When I went to the ER they gave me three breathing treatments, a shot of rocephin, zithromax antibiotic, prednisone, and some mucinex-d I got sent home with a prescription for an inhaler, prednisone, xithromax and the mucinex-d.
I took all of my antibiotics and finished all my medications except the inhaler and I still use that alot.
Here is my problem .
Just how long does it take to heal. I remember the last time that I had asthmatic bronchitis I coughed alot ( remember I never quit smoking (dumb me)) and I would cough up nasty drainage that smelled and well I will stop with the description there. That time that I had it it ended up lasting for several months. I should of quit smoking then.
I have not coughed up anything with this bout and whenever I exert (ie. vacumning the living room, getting the kids loaded in the car) myself doing anything I breathe like I just got done running the NYC marathon. It is a dry sounding breath and every now and then there is a wheeze with it.
How long should I wait before I call the Dr and schedule an appt?
I know that two things are counting against my healing right now , that is the Asthma and the fact that I did smoke for 13 years.
I would really like to start an exercise program to counteract the weight gain from the smoking cessation and I cannot do it because I cannot breathe.
Also the doctor told me that from now on the air that I breathe needs to be as clean as possible.
no smoke, no candle burning, no incense (i never burned that stuff) not even burning my fireplace (sorry cannot give that one up, its saved mucho money and is well ventilated.)

I am a 32 year old female and I really appreciate your help on this. I promise that I have quit and I will never start that VILE habit again.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:52 pm

User avatar First off, CONGRATULATIONS on stopping smoking. No matter when you "should" have quit, you've quit now and that is a huge accomplishment.

Regarding your asthma, if you are still needing your inhaler more than 2-3 times per day after completing the prednisone you should see your doctor again. It is possible that you may benefit from an inhaled corticosteroid (such as fluticasone or budesonide) to help control your asthma symptoms. Albuterol is an excellent medication for asthma but it really is only a symptom treater not an asthma controller. If you are needing to use your albuterol any more frequently than about twice a week you will probably get some benefit from the inhaled corticosteroid.

The inhaled steroid treats the inflammation of the airways that is contributing to their spasming (which the albuterol helps).

And, if your asthma gets worse and you begin to feel as if you are having a worsening time breathing you should be evaluated right away.

Best wishes, and congratulations once again. Smoking cessation is one of the best choices you could have made for your health!

|