Question: Constant Chest pains and hard to breath

L0stnwundrland - Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:42 pm

1. 19
2. Female
3. No diagnoses
4. Recent c-section (7 months ago)
5. Mom and brother have slight asthma
6. No medications being taken besides b.c.

About two weeks ago I put my baby down for her nap. I had been feeling completely fine. I went back to sit down and as soon as i did i got a SHARP PAINFUL feeling in the right side of my chest that spread up to my right ear and across the left side of my chest. It was short but EXTREMELY painful. Right after that i got a taste in my mouth like i had to vomit. (Just had a taste but never actually threw-up). I had a hard time breathing for about and hour or two after. Over the period of this past two weeks the symptoms have gotten worse. The pain has started on both sides of my chest randomly; and have a VERY hard time breathing. If the pain is on the right side of my chest then my right arm has a dull pain in it. Same goes for the left side of my chest. Also, i feel dizzy and faint. Anything i do whether walking or holding a long conversation or anything involving getting my lungs pumping springs these symptoms on a lot quicker. As of today there is a constant pain, and i haven't been breathing well at all, and my arm got a dull pain in it. All i did was go for a walk and i didn't think i was going to make it home. If anyone has any ideas please help me. At the point I'm trying to get health insurance and i don't have the money for an E.R. But the way it's looking i might be headed there soon if another "attack", so to say, happens.

Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:11 pm

User avatar Hi L0ostnwundrland,

There are a few possibilities. This may all be a condition called pleurisy. This is when the lining of the chest wall/lungs becomes inflamed. It can cause severe pain and often is worse with deep breathing.

Another possibility is that you had/are having reflux episodes. The stomach acid can burn and cause severe chest pain (sometimes mistaken for a heart attack). If some happened to get into your lungs it can cause a chemical burn that can also make it hard to breathe.

If your symptoms are continuing you should see a doctor. There may be a local clinic that can see patients on a free or reduced fee scale based on income/ability. Your local health department can help find these clinics for you if you need.

|