Question: Coughing and Blood Sputum

drmayor2004 - Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:08 pm

Am 28 years and I don’t drink and smoke. In later 2001 I had cold and flu with catarrh and coughing. After taking some cough mixture I will be relief.
But in 2004 I had cold and flu again which result to a very severe coughing and catarrh. The sputum is white with no chest pain.
I used cough mixture but it won’t go so I went to see a doctor and he gave me one antibody drugs but I did not remember the name again. The drug work perfectly and I was relief for years

In late 2007, I started feeling some irritation and itching in my ear and throat which may last for about 10mins but when is severe it will last for 15 to 20 minutes and also extend to the middle of my chest. This occurs mostly in the night but I will be relief after taking water or menthol sweet.
These continue until early 2008 and it stops and result to very deep coughing and catarrh which produce white sputum but no chest pain. I took cough mixture and antibody drugs but I was not relief. Later l started feeling some kind of sputum clogged in my throat and each time I tried to cough this out it wont come out this will result to move violent coughing . One afternoon, the cough became severe with little chest pain and light headache due to the violent of the coughing that I became weak but thank God my sister was around and I ask her to get my a milk to get some energy. Thank God it work gain some energy, I went to see my aunty (nurse) she gave a drug Zanit (antibiotics) and I took it for five days. I was greatly relief but the sputum clogged still in my throat but the coughing was reducing.
So the following Monday I went to see a doctor told him everything and the drugs am using currently. He no gave some drugs cough mixtures but he did give any antibody since I was already using one but he said I should go for X-ray and tuberculosis which came out clear. After weeks I was relief totally. After some months I will feel the irritation and the itching in my ear and throat but under 5mins it will relief me

6 weeks ago came to London and about 3 weeks ago I had cold and flu which result to cough and catarrh and I started taking cough mixture. A week later, the coughing subsides a little bit. One morning, I woke up to clear my nose then I notice dark blood stain in the mucus or sputum, immediately I clear my throat and also the blood stain was there. I called my Mom (nurse) and told her she just told me is winter cold that it will go and that I should just keep warm. Though I was afraid but she said it will go.
After about 3 days, the sputum was clear no blood stain again.
Though I still cough with no catarrh.
About 5 days ago I went out in very cold weather when I got home felt some pains in my joints and bone generally but after keeping warm I was relief again.
This morning, when I woke up I notice a bit tired and when I clear my throat without coughing this morning I saw a dark blood in the sputum it was more that the previous one I was alarmed again. When I told me mom again she said is cold that it will go.
And she said just take hot liquid.
Since then up to the time of writing this post, I can still see the dark blood in the sputum when I spit out the sputum even without coughing.

An feeling better from the cough and I don’t have catarrh but my fear is why is dark blood mixed with my sputum and this give a lot fear, like is lung cancer, Tb, infection or just cold as my mom told me.

Please help because am now in fear and anxiety as am writing this post
And thank you in advance for replying my post
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:39 pm

It sounds as though you are prone to respiratory infections, both chest and sinus. The blood you describe seems to be coming from your sinuses and this is, in fact, very common, especially during winter, with cold, dry air and dry air from the heat indoors. The combination dries the mucus membranes in the nose and sinuses and causes small capilaries to break. The blood pools in the sinuses and elsewhere, and, since it is dark, this means it has probably been sitting there for a while. If you were to cough up bright red blood from your chest, this is a very different thing and not like what you've described.

Along with treating the symptoms of your colds and bronchitis (which is what this sounds like), you might try purchasing a humidifier for the room where you sleep, which may help keep the air from drying the mucus membranes and reduce the amount of blood you see. The blood in mucus is very common with winter colds.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please keep us updated. Best of luck to you.
 drmayor2004 - Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:05 am

Thank You for your reply.
The blood in the sputum have stopped now though i still cough once in a while but not as treble as before.
My question is how can i be treated so that i will not be prone to respiratory infections
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:14 pm

User avatar You're very welcome. I'm happy to know the problem seems to be resolving. Hopefully this will mark a turnaround for you.

Some of the factors in chronic respiratory infections are not totally controllable and some of us seem more prone to them than others, but one of the main things we can do is try to keep the lower respiratory tract as clear as possible early on when a productive cough appears, using an expectorant such as guaifenasin. Also, try to avoid crowded situations as much as possible, especially during the winter months, as much is practical, since this is where many infections are transmitted by droplet. Also, maintain good nutrition so as to keep the immune system at its strongest, get adequate rest and sleep, and just as important, remain physically active as much as possible. See a doctor at the first signs of a new infection so as to minimize it early on.

Best of luck to you. Stay well.
 drmayor2004 - Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:48 am

Thank you for your messages it was helpful.
Well, i traveled from UK to Nigeria about 3 weeks ago. Before i travelled i noticed that am having pain in my angle and wrist. when i got to Nigeria i noticed that the pain reduced.
About 3 days i Nigeria, i noticed that anytime i went to the toilet i will be become weak for about 10 - 15 mins then after takin milk and water i will be ok again. My brother told me that i have jet lag but about 2 weeks ago i noticed that my left angle have swelled. the second day, the other leg is swelled aslo.
I decided to see a doctor last week and he wrote some drug for me which am still using.
But what i noticed is that in the morning the swelling will be small but later in the day it will become a little larger.
Again, i the quantity of food i eat have reduced that is with little quantity i will be ok.
About the Cough issue is not frequent now (very better) but i still produce sputum without coughing.

Please, i need you suggestion and thank you in advance for the replying.

|