News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Chest Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Chest Answers List

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Night Time Chest Pain

heypal - Wed Aug 10, 2005 1:46 am

I am experiencing sharp, though not unbearable, pain in my chest at night. This pain only occurs at night when I go to bed. It is always in the same place - right in the center of my chest - and always about the same intensity. It generally goes away after an hour or so, or I fall asleep. It definitely hurts more when I take a deep breath.

I am 22, in decent health, not overweight, and a light smoker. I probably drink more caffeine than I should (I work at a coffee shop). I was a heavy alcohol drinker in college, but now I drink moderately and infrequently. I had pain like this for a few nights in a row about a month ago, then it went away when I went on a trip to Europe, but now it has returned.

Any idea what could be going on? The pain is enough to worry me, though my symptoms don't match any of the "seek immediate medical attention" ones on the various medical web sites out there.

Thank you very much for any help.
 dixiern - Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:39 pm

These symptoms resemble night time reflux or heart burn which can often mimic chest pain. My suggestion is to not eat 2-3 hours before going to bed, try an over the counter acid reducer (Tagamet, Zantac), sit up at night before going to bed, and to see your primary MD if symptoms worsen or don't improve.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here