Question: Itching between buttocks

mateo11 - Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:58 pm

I am a 22 year old male, and I have been having a problem with itching between my buttocks. It feels somewhat like a heatrash, but I am not sure. The itching is usually worst in the mornings after I take a shower and evenings before I go to bed. It doesn't seem to be near the anus, but sometimes occurs at the base of the scrotum. I try not to scratch, but sometimes I find it hard to help myself. It has gotten to the point where the slightest scratch can cause it to bleed slightly. Does anyone know what this might be or how I might treat it?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:02 pm

User avatar mateo11,
There are many causes of ithcing in the genital area. It would be impossible to tell for sure which of these is causing your symptoms. I would suggest you have a dermatologist examine you. However, I will go through some of the more common causes of genital itching.
Friction and fungus are the two primary causes of genital itching. Skin rubbing against skin generates heat and sweat to produce tender, red, itchy patches. People who are physically active or obese are especially susceptible. The itch may appear as a little bit of redness anywhere on the genitals but can advance to more serious inflammation, with scabs and scaling or tender, moist spots where skin has peeled away.

If caused by fungus, the itch and redness will appear more gradually. The patches of scaly skin will have defined, ringlike borders—hence the medical name Tinea cruris, or ringworm of the groin.

Fungus-caused jock itch predominates in the summer. Fungus kind of likes warm, damp places to grow, but you don't need a fungal infection to get jock itch.

Itching also can be the first sign of a yeast infection, especially if diabetic or taking antibiotics.

Severe itching, as well as pain, can precede the outbreak of herpes blisters.

Insanely itchy private parts could be caused by scabies or pubic lice.

|