Question: White bumps on shaft and beneath rim of head of penis

tidewalker - Wed Dec 13, 2006 7:12 pm

Hi. I'm 17, and have never had sex before, just so you know that this isn't sex related. Over the past few weeks I have found that there are tiny white bumbs around the underside of the rim on the head of my penis. They are small, like the tip of a ballpoint pen, and aren't painful unless they are applied pressure. The skin surrounding the head also flakes off sometimes and is red. Someone told me to apply alchohol to it...this made my entire genital area burn. Also on the shaft of my penis there are bumps that sometimes emit a smell of dogfood...I know that sounds strange but that is the way it smells. I popped one two days ago with the help of a pin, and some blood and clear fluid came out. Also on the loose skin around the head, there are shallow pimple like things in the skin that contain a white, curd looking substance. The head of my penis looks wrinkled around the edges and when it is stretched, you can see white bumps similar to the ones on the underside of its rim. I am very worried about these things, and kind of ashamed to let my parents know about them much less talk to a doctor. This is kind of a small step I guess. I am just worried about what's happening and would like to know what they might be.

I have just gotten rid of mosaic warts that were on my hands and feet. Could that be what they are?

Some please tell me, I've been freaking out! My girlfriend wants to have sex and so do I. I just want to know what they are so I can get rid of them asap!!!!

--John
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:06 pm

These lesions could be due to:

-Eczema and dermatitis
Dermatitis is referred to different types of skin rashes that are caused by infections, allergies, and irritants.
Contact Dermatitis occurs due to skin contact with a substance that causes an allergic reaction (allergic contact Dermatitis)
or with an irritant substances (irritant contact Dermatitis).
There are many causes for contact Dermatitis some involve irritants such as soaps, certain creams and some may be due to allergy.

- Inflammation of the Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands.
Hair follicles and sebaceous (sweat) glands are normally found on the penile shaft, particularly on the ventral surface (underside). They may be infected; trichomycosis in the case of sweat glands and folliculitis in the case of hair follicles.
They may be visible as small nodules or might only be felt as small lumps in the skin. They are yellow/black or red nodules on the hair shafts in the inguinal region. Nodules are often on the scrotum and occasionally on the base of the shaft of the penis. They may contain pus in them.

- Although it sounds strange to think of Acne, but your description is very suggestive of Acne. In reality many people may have Acne in the pubic region even without having this on the usual areas like face and chest.

Direct clinical examination is essential for diagnosis.
I advise you to follow with your Doctor.

Keep us updated.
 tidewalker - Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:22 pm

I have a finalized doctors appointment for tuesday next week. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Anything I can put on the lesions? I know it is probably too early to think about treatment before it is diagnosed, but is there an antiseptic or something that can be applied?

Thank you.

--John
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:48 pm

User avatar I would suggest waiting until seen by your doctor before using anything to treat. Treatments may make it difficult for your doctor to make a correct diagnosis by masking some symptoms. Also, treatments are not without side effects and can add to the problem occasionally.
 tidewalker - Thu Dec 21, 2006 5:41 pm

Ok, so I went to see a doctor. He said that the bumps on the shaft were just inflamed hair follicles and there is nothing to worry about. He did not, however, know what the small flesh colored/white bumps were underneath the head of my penis. Also, the underside of my foreskin is red and has an unusual odor. Anybody know what this may be? Maybe an infection? Fungus? I jsut want to get rid of it!!!!

-John
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:01 pm

User avatar A few flesh colored bumps on the underside of the penis are normal. Also, it is important to make sure you have good hygiene and keep the foreskin/glans clean. This may be the cause of the irritation. Try to keep the area dry as moisture can cause a significant amount of irritation (similar to a baby's diaper rash).

If daily cleaning and keeping the area dry are not resolving the issue, or if this is already being done, I would suggest a consultation with a dermatologist to evaluate your rash. If a fungal infection is of concern, cultures can be taken to see for sure.

Hope this helps.
 tidewalker - Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:46 pm

Thank you. I will try that and will also see a dermatologist just to make sure that it isn't an infection. But I am still curious, what is the smell that is coming from the foreskin? Is it just an accumulation of dead skin? Maybe am I not keeping it clean enough?

-John
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:55 am

User avatar Strange odors can be a sign of infection, fungal or other. They may also represent a build up of oils, etc. made by the body. I would expect that as the irritation and redness resolve the odor will also.

|