Question: Red Spot On Lip

kimieo - Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:50 pm

Hi there! I have had a red mark on my lip off and on for about 3 months. I say mark because it is isn't a bump. In fact when touching the lip, it doesn't feel any different. the only problem I can see it. It changes from bright pink to red, and then goes away within a day. Sometimes it goes away in 2-5 days. But for the most part, I see it one day, gone the next. There is no pain. No burning. No blisters. No scabs. Just a pink spot on my lip. In one area. Please help! I have had skin cancer before, that was very similiar to this on my arm. And of course I am thinking the worst! :( It doesn't seem like it is cold sores. I have never had them, but know so many people that do and they don't seem to have any of the characteristics. Please help!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:20 pm

User avatar I'm having a hard time coming up with what it might be without actually seeing the mark. I would suspect that if it were cancerous it would not come and go.

I would suggest that you see your doctor for a direct examination. Unfortunately, it sounds like you've got the car at the mechanic problem-everytime you go to the doctor the spot won't be there. :)

kristusmary - Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:33 pm

I am a 33 y/o female with a similar red spot on my upper lip (~0.125 dia). It lies along both sides of my lip line and seems slightly incaved. The differance is that I 've had mine for ~ 6 yrs and never goes away. It looks as if it is a healing cold sore, but it has never blistered. At times it will be dry and flacky above the lip line and split open on my lip tissue, which will eventually scab and heal after a few days. I believe that it cracks because it has made my lip thinner in that area. I try to keep it moisturized to avoid flacking and cracking, but nothing seems to prevent it from happening. I've been to a dermatoigist and he said (in 2 sec, pressing a micro. slide on it) that it was a vein close to the surface that was irritating my skin. Afraid of laser surgery, which he suggested, and the possibility of scaring, I decided to just live with it. About 3 months ago, I decided that I couldn't stand it anymore and asked a plastic surgeon his opinion. He told me that it looked like a lesion, similar to a sun spot and may not be able to be treated...still waiting to hear from him to go back for a closer look and until he gets this new and improved laser that may do the trick.....

I just wondered if you had an opinion of what it was before I decide on the laser, which may not work and make it bigger and/or create a terrible scare?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 02, 2007 1:13 am

User avatar From the description I would say that both opinions are possible. My first thought was that it may be a small hemangioma (collection of capillaries near the skin). These can often be treated with the laser with good results.

Laser treatment usually produces great results but is not without risks. I would recommend you discuss the benefits and risks of all the treatment options before you decide which way is best for you.

|