Question: Clear bumps on palm of hands

zephy - Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:52 am

I have these small bumps on the palm of my hand (0.5-2mm). They are clear/translucent. I can't figure out what they are, and how to treat it. The bumps started the area near the base of the pinky and ring finger, and sort of spread to the rest of the palm after it got better that area. If a bump manages to burst, a clear fluid (maybe slightly yellow once dried up) comes out and it's somewhat sticky. And now I just noticed it is starting to spread to the other hand. It has been like this for a week or two, and the bumps persist on my hand, so I don't really know if it's getting better or not. This has happened before in the past, but it quickly subsided after a few days, unfortunately this time it's staying around for a while. They seem to worsen (get bigger) and then sometimes they shrink. Does anyone know what is the problem?

Thanks,
Zeph
 Sandy Tracy RN - Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:00 pm

User avatar Hi Zephy,

The bumps you describe may be blisters of mild eczema. If these are not itching or painful they should subside. If they become bothersome I would have them checked out by your doctor. They will be able to prescribe a cream.

Thanks for writing in and good luck.
Sandy RN
 locutus3 - Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:47 pm

I have suffered with a condition that sounds like this for years; starting at around 19 (now 58). It sounds like dyshidrotic (dyshydrotic) hand eczema or Pompholyx. It was much worse when I was young, but I still get mild bumps in between my fingers. When it was the worse, the bumps would get on the palms and fingers, the blisters would break, and the skin would crack and ooze causing work related problems. Luckily my feet never became involved. The first stage shows tiny blisters deep in the skin of the palms and fingers. The blisters are very itchy or have a burning feeling. I have tried many remedies over the years prescribed by many dermatologist....usually some sort of cortisone cream of varying concentrations.

See:
http://dermnetnz.org/dermatitis/pompholyx.html
http://www.emedicine.com/PED/topic1867.htm

I don't really think anyone still knows what causes this condition. Some feel it is related to an excessive number of sweat glands in the palms. Some suggest stress as a trigger to the condition. The bottom line is that this is a chronic condition and it is very difficult to obtain a successful cure. This is a very aggravating condition to the person with the condition, but did not seem to be taken seriously by a lot of the Dermatologists that I have seen over the years. A quick glance at the blisters, a prescription for a steroid cream, an $80 charge and quickly out the door! I guess this reaction was mainly because they really did not know what to do.

Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck.
 Sandy Tracy RN - Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:38 am

User avatar Hi locutus3.

Thanks for adding this and hopefully it makes people more aware of this problem. The links are interesting

Sandy Tracy RN

|