News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: blue nails

blue - Wed Dec 15, 2004 1:07 pm

hi i don't know if its normal or not but my finger nails have sometimes been turning blue and my hands are cold. im 18. its not the whole nail but the lower part and its not blue blue but like a purple color instead of pink. this is also happening to my toe nails. i took a bath and when i looked the skin aroudn the lower part of my toe nails was blue and the nails were a purplish color. what can i do to make them pink. i have always had cold hands, and this is while inside my house where it is actually really warm.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:11 am

User avatar Hi blue,
Bluish colored nails and cold hands can indicate several possibilities. Do you have any heart, respiratory, or thyroid problems? Have you been evaluated by a physician?
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 mstephanie86 - Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:51 am

my toenails on both big toes turned blue. my feet were a little cold, but i was in a warm house. could this be from them just being cold or could this be something i should be concerned about. i have no medical problems that i know of
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:10 am

User avatar Hi mstephanie86,
After your feet warmed up did your nails return to their normal color? If so I would attribute the bluish cast to be caused from the cold.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 Belovedgoddess - Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:21 am

There are many possibilities.

Cold can be a factor, these last couple of winters I've noticed that I've had trouble keeping my hands and feet warm, I usually have to jump in a warm shower to do it - even getting up in the middle of the night to do it. I'm putting it down to age.

Have you had your blood cirulation checked out? How is your Blood pressure?

How are your activity levels eg exercise? (I know I could do with more)

Apparently the "Bluebloods" label given to royality and nobles from Europe was based on the fact that they never had to lift a finger through being waited on hand and foot by servants, was because their circulation was so bad because of lack of activity that their skin took on a bluish tinge.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here