News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Dermatology Answers List

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Strange Underarm Redness and Peeling

RayneFire - Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:35 am

I have recently developed a skin irritation underneath my right armpit. It's tender to the touch, and it has an itchy, burning feeling. Almost appearing as being "raw". The skin around it is peeling off my underarm and looks as though it's rotting off. It posesses a strange, pungent oder to the affected area, like some kind of infection (although, I'm not sure if that's the case). The redness also seems to be spreading more accross my underarm as the days go by. I fear it may spread to other parts of my body..

I am very concerned about this because I have never had this problem before, and I have no idea if this is something I should really worry about. I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what's going on, and what could I do to heal it? Thanks.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:53 pm

You have given good descriptions which are suggestive of intertrigo, which is an an inflammation of the upper layers of skin caused by moisture, bacteria, or fungi in flexural areas of the body where the folds of skin rub or press against each other. The affected areas are usually brown, pink or red and the skin may macerate, producing an offensive odour, consistent with your description.

Predisposing causes are warm and moist climates, obesity, diabetes and hyperhidrosis.
Common sites are the axillae, the groins, and the flexure between the lower border of the female breast and skin.

Apart from intertrigo, it is important to consider irritant or allergic contact dermatitis from deodorants or shaving if this is applicable in your case.

A dermatologist or primary care physician can perform simple tests to identify the cause. A skin scraping will eliminate a fungal infection. A Wood’s lamp will identify erythrasma, which is a bacterial infection. Both the fungal and bacterial causes respond well to treatment. If you are overweight, get into the right BMI range for your height. If the condition is persistent in spite of treatment, check your fasting blood sugar.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical and Genitourinary Medicine
 RayneFire - Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:26 am

Thank you for the prompt response to my query! I appreciate your diagnosis of my uncomfortable skin condition. I think the deodorant may be a factor in my developing this problem, but I am going to go to my family doctor to make sure of what it is, exactly.

I will mention to him what you have told me about what could be the probable culprits, and will ask him to test me for all those conditions you've listed. Once, again, thank you so much!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:34 pm

I am pleased that you have accepted to go for examination. Please update us with results of tests.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 Clank101267 - Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:06 am

mine do that when I put on hyperhidrosis medication that dosent work. It burns, but I put it on anyway. It dosnt help my condition, but I can hope cant I?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here