Question: bug bite

JZ17 - Sat May 21, 2005 7:51 am

Hi, please help
My mom got bitten by somthing 5 days ago, at first it looked like a mosquito bite, but it kept growing and got up to 3-4cm. After 2 days all the area around the bite became red and it swell a bit and its very warm too.
could this be a spider bite?
any suggestions?
 Lisa K, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 8:44 am

User avatar Hello there,

So is the area still red, swollen and very warm? (I'm not sure if that's a recent picture) If so, I would encourage her to be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. It's really hard to say for sure what kind of bite she has, but insect bites in some cases can cause cellulitis (inflammation of the underlying tissue)...that can continue to spread, requiring IV antibiotics. Is the redness/swelling/warmth "increasing"?

Does she have any other symptoms? Fatigue, joint pain, nausea, fever?

Again, I'd suggest she see a doc today if possible.........he would also be more aware of what type of insects are in herr area, and would be in a better position to perhaps make an educated guess as to what kind of bite she's dealing with.

I'd also suggest she take a pen and "outline" the area of redness on her skin - yes, mark the very outer border of the redness with a pen - then it's easier for her/her doctor to see if the redness is increasing.

Has she taken any meds as a result? Acetominopen? An anti-histamine like Benadryl? (dimenhydramine)
 JZ17 - Sat May 21, 2005 9:21 am

Thanks for the replay.
The picture is recent, I took it today.
She had already seen a doctor yesterday, he gave her a tetanus shot and prescripted her antibiotics(Augmentin 875mg).
There are no other symptoms except maybe some tiny red dots on the hands but I don't think its related.
If you look closly at the picture you'll notice that the bite is more like a dent as a spider bite. but aren't spider bites supposed to hurt?
there is another intersting picture, it looks like the redness got up the vein towards the armpit (I forgot to tell about it in the first post)
 Lisa K, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 9:32 am

User avatar Hello there,

I'm *very* glad she was seen by a doc. It definitely looks like the inflammation has spread away from the site of the bite....keep a close eye on that, if it continues to spread. I'm trying to tell from the picture, was the original site of the bite to the bottom part of the inner upper arm...and that redness has spread upwards, toward her axilla (arm pit)? I would still definitely have her (or you) take a pen and outline on her skin w/ the pen, the outer edge of the redness.....just to ensure it's not spreading further. Although it doesn't sound very "proper", we do this in hospital all the time on patients who have areas of redness that we're monitoring for an increase in redness. It's the only accurate way to tell other than just eyeballing it. If it is spreading, she needs to get back to the doctor........and may require IV antibiotics.

I had a friend years ago who was bitten by a spider (what kind, they weren't sure - this was here in Canada). It was to his lower arm and by the time he went to the doc, the redness had spread all up his arm, sort of in a line.........and his arm was very swollen, red, hot to touch...he had to have IV antibiotics for several days....of course he recovered well.

Did they do any bloodwork on your Mom?

How is she feeling otherwise? Does she have a fever? Any of the other symptoms I asked you about?

Great pictures.....nice to be able to "see" what you're referring to :-)
 JZ17 - Sat May 21, 2005 11:22 am

hi
the inflammation started from the upper arm(site of the bite), spread down the elbow and up to the axilla as seen in the picture.
anyway she feels great and there are no other symptoms.
Bloodwork means blood tests? if so, than they didn't do any bloodwork.
well if it'll get worse than she will go and get IV antibiotics.
thank's for the advice.

|