Question: Petechiae vs. Angiomas / Please help!

Befallingdusk - Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:04 pm

First of all....I beg you not to ban me! I'm a desperate woman.

This is the third forum topic I have posted in, but I have had separate questions each time due to a sudden onslaught of symptoms and a serious lack of a definitive diagnosis; therefore, I'm trying to look at each issue individually (since that's what the doctors want to do) and determine what I need to be concerned about and what I don't, and to generally educate myself. My questions now are related to multiple skin issues/rashes.

Over the past 2 months, I've developed multiple new skin lesions and spots on my upper abdomen (stomach area), both breasts and my shoulders and upper arms. There are 3 different types of rashes, but let me make this clear: all but one (the petechiae?) appear to be few in number, here and there, and they do not cover an entire area.

My questions: 1) Petechiae. I did multiple searches for "red spots on skin" and discovered this condition which to me, most closely describes what I'm seeing. I have a scattering of teeny, tiny, little bright red spots in/on my skin that look like specks of blood or marks made by a felt tip pen. Some are miniscule (barely visible to the naked eye) and some are as large or a little larger than the tip of an ink pen. The skin around them looks fine (no inflammation/normal). I pressed a clear glass over them, and they do not blanch. They are also completely FLAT. You CAN'T feel them, but you can see them. Both a dermatologist and a breast specialist dismissed them as being "Cherry Angiomas and Angiomas," but I'm still not convinced. I asked the dermatologist's PA-C today, "What DOES petechiae look like then?" and she responded, "More like little purple bruises." I thought the little purple bruises were the associated "purpura" but did not say as much to her, because she was already incensed about my questioning her expertise.

And speaking of "Purpura," I spontaneously bled into my inner arm two weeks ago (4-5 good spots that looked like track marks); furthering my suspicion that these spots are indeed, petechiae. Unfortunately, these purple/red eruptions had faded by the time of my appointment today and the dermatologist blew me completely off when I mentioned it. I've seen pictures of the Angiomas, and these do not look like that.

So my questions are: CAN Angiomas present as little, flat, bright red spots? CAN multiple instances of them appear suddenly (within a 2 month period) and be normal? Do angiomas blanch or not blanch? Is using a clear glass effective for determining whether or not they blanch? I told the "Derma" these did not blanch and she said, "Oh, I could make them blanch!," but she did not attempt to prove it (and it sounded like a threat, to be honest). And my last question, should I just not worry about them anymore and chalk them up to sudden onset of "old age and heredity?" I'm 38.

And another rash: I've been getting bright red, itchy pimples in these same locations which form and burst very quickly. After bursting, the redness almost instantly disappears but leaves behind either the bright red spot (petechiae or angioma) or a tiny, raised, light brown crusty scab-like lesion. These have appeared in normal skin and in skin that has developed a sudden, patch of enlarged capillaries. These, I also showed the dermatologist (no pimples today, but multiple scabs from their former presence) and she also dismissed these as being "Hemangiomas and/or Seborrheic Keratoses." I told her about the pimple process forming these lesions and although she visibly appeared puzzled over that, she stated the pimples could form if they were irritated somehow and it was all "normal." So my questions here are, is it normal to develop these lesions on my breasts within a 2 month period, and is it really normal for these conditions to form after a pimple-type eruption?

I did, however get a skin biopsy (scraping) of 2 abnormal moles today...one on my back and one on my stomach (near these red spots and scabs). The PA-C did seem very concerned about these two moles, especially the one on my back. I've also had multiple formations of tan/pink spots that are abnormally shaped and grow fast where the abdominal mole is. SO, last 2 questions: If this is Malignant Melanoma, could I possibly be right about the petechiae and purpura? Could melanoma cause these rashes and skin changes in the surrounding areas?

Someone, somewhere out there, has to know what's happening to me and what these rashes really are and what I should do about them! Doctors these days seem to abhor being asked some simple questions. They don't want to take the time to answer and get entirely defensive and down-right hostile. It's infuriating and intimidating. I think they want to keep us in ignorance, or they're afraid to expose their own. I am SO grateful for having found this site, for it is a true godsend when you guys take the time to answer us very concerned individuals. Please, please, any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
 der_chad - Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:55 pm

I have the exact same thing. My doctor told me they were just burst capilleries near the surface of the skin. It is nothing to worry about. Stress actually brings it on worse.
 morganna - Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:25 pm

Hi there.

I have been having the same symptoms and my doctor informedme it Angiomas. I just had some blood tests done and am waiting for the results. He said something about it being hereditary but I have not seen any of these on my family members. As you I am feeling stressed about what it is and I have performed numerous searches on the internet and what i found has not really given me peace of mind. These tiny red dots that are pin like someone put a red marker to your skin.

I have just had a case of chiken pox at the age of 30 and someone told me it could do some damage to your liver. These dots have appeared in numbers in the last three- to four weeks and I seem to find more with every day that goes by again I found this to be a symptom of some types of liver diseases. Please if someone else has had this or knows something more it would be appreciated.

Morg

|