Question: Super Large Right Testicle

Jeetu - Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:34 pm

Hello Doctors,

I'm a 21 year old male from India. I've been masturbating since age 12 almost everyday! Since the past few years I've noticed that my right testicle had always been substantially larger than the left. I'd ignored it all the while as I'd read that a difference in testicle size is common and not a problem. Since the past year or so, I'm noticing a considerable increase in size. The left testicle is about the size of a marble while the right has grown to the size of an egg. I can now hold it in my hand without getting my palm around it. Also when I hold the scrotum taut and examine it, the right testicle is of a some what bean shape and not elliptical as the left. This testicle now shows through my pants and I can no longer wear tight fitting jeans or any other trousers. It's become quite a concern and it's embarrassing going out in public. Do I need to absolutely get it checked by a GP? I'm very embarrassed about going to the doctor about this and it's been weighing on my mind for a lot of months now. Please help!

Thanks,
Jeetu
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:25 am

You need to go to see your doctor IMMEDIATELY!

The testes can swell for many reasons. Possible causes include cancer, testicular torsion, inguinal hernia, epididymitis, hydrocele, and varicocele. Other causes are far less common in adults. These include lymphedema, mumps and a spermatocele.

Testicular cancer is a rare cancer but is curable if caught early. The risk factors for cancer of the testicles include:

1. Age: Testicular cancer can occur at any age, but most often occurs in men between the ages of 15 and 40.
2. Undescended testicle (cryptorchidism): This is a condition in which the testicles do not descend from the abdomen, where they are located during development, to the scrotum shortly before birth. This condition is a major risk factor for testicular cancer developing in both the nondescended and the contralateral descended testes.[1]
3. Family history: A family history of testicular cancer increases the risk.
4. Race and ethnicity: The risk for testicular cancer in Caucasian men is more than five times that of African-American men and more than double that of Asian-American men.

Please visit your doctor as soon as possible to rule out this dangerous possibility.

References:
==========
1. Frank IN, Graham SD, Nabors WL. Urologic and male genital cancers. In: Holleb AI, Fink DJ, Murphy GP, eds. American Cancer Society textbook of clinical oncology. Atlanta: The Society, 1991:283-7.

|