Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Can Sperm Travel Through Fabric?

Questioning21 - Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi! I'm a 19-year-old college student who, I've heard, comes from a VERY fertile family. Is it possible for sperm to travel through the thin fabric from my boyfriend's boxers, through the thin fabric from my underwear, into my vagina and get me pregnant? I'll have to add that I have my own female ejaculate at that point.... We've been very careful, but I'm always worried if he gets my underwear a little wet. It is usually up by the clitoris that gets wet, but just in case it is down more towards the entrance of the vagina, is it possible to get pregnant under these conditions? What if it is only one layer of clothing? What about no layers? Please let me know so I can be as safe as possible. I truly do not want to get pregnant at this point in my life. Thank you!
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:29 pm

Fabric would make it extremely difficult for sperm to get where it needs to go to impregnate you. Of course a latex condom would be the best protection and if you are going to be sexually active this would be a good measure for the future. Even with full penetration pregnancy does not always occur but without penetration the chances are very slim that the sperm could travel that far.

Best wishes
 Dreads1993 - Mon May 11, 2009 6:10 am

I havd a similar problem, me and my girlfriend are safe and use condoms when we have sex. But 2 days ago we experimented abit and she was naked and i was in just underwear and we had what may be called dry sex and i ejaculated and were worried she may get pregnant. But she is soon due for her period (sometime this week) but she has been having stomach cramps. What rort of chaoce would there be she could get pregnant?

Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:28 pm

According to your description, chances are extremely unlikely she could be pregnant from this encounter.

scared2010 - Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:50 pm

Hi, I am a 20 year old boy. My girlfriend, who is 17, and I were fooling around 2 days ago. She had her panties on, and I was exciting her by pressing my penis against her vagina. There was no insertion since her panties were on. It got a little intense and I ejaculated after a while onto her panties. She removed and changed her panties within 30 seconds of my ejaculation. Do we run the risk of a possible pregnancy? Can sperms travel through clothing that fast? Also I am worried about pre-ejaculate. I read on the internet that it contains sperms, if the boy has not urinated after his last ejaculation. But I am sure that I have urinated at least 3-4 times, since the last time I ejaculated, which was when I was masturbating, 2 days before this incident. Please help me and tell me if we run the risk of a possible pregnancy.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:06 pm

Pregnancy under these circumstances is virtually impossible. Sperm needs a pretty direct route and really must be placed in or near the vagina in a liquid environment (they "swim" to get through the cerix and to a waiting egg). Of course this also implies that the timing must be right when an egg is actually present at the right time for pregnancy to occur.

You should not worry, but it would be wise for you to discuss contraception for future encounters since you are just a step away from intercourse which of course can lead to pregnancy.

inexperienced123 - Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:27 pm

I know i might sound redundant but I have two questio s:

1. My boyfriend and I were "fooling around" and he began pressing the tip of his penis onto my underwear covered vagina. I. believed that he pre-ejaculated and the seat of my underwear was damp. How likely is it that I could have gotten pregnant? My period ended around four days before this.

2. Does pre-ejaculation have sperm andif it does, are the sperm active?

thank you in advancefor your help
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Aug 07, 2010 6:12 pm

There can be active sperm in pre-ejaculate but getting through fabric would be quite a trick. If he had penetrated it is possible some sperm could get through but on the outside of the vagina in the labia area, the chances would be slim. And, four days following your period is a relatively "safe" time for most women.

Perhaps you want to consider discussing contraceptive methods with your partner so you can find something reliable that you are both comfortable with and will allow you to worry less.

|