Forum Name: Fertility

Question: Chances of Pregnancy and how to know if pregnant?

maverickicemen - Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:37 am

What are the chances of pregnancy if had unprotected sex almost one week before the periods? My girl friend had periods almost a week after the sex, and during the sex i did not go deep into her. I just went in a one and half centimeter deep and also stooped my self after one or two drops. I immediately asked her to wash away and she took a emergency contraceptive pill with a time span of 12 hours. Please help me and also provide with an info of take out pregnancy if its late. coz we are just engaged and there is at-least one year of time before we get married. :(
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:51 am

I think it is highly unlikely she is pregnant since she had her period, you used emergency contraception and the penetration and ejaculate was minimal. Please get some condoms so you won't have to worry so much about this next time.

maverickicemen - Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:05 pm

Thanks for the reply, but there is a small problem. Please help me. As i said earlier me and my girl friend had sex on 8th of Oct and she had periods on 11th or 12th of October. Now its been more than one month and her periods are delayed for more than a week. I'ts been more than 10 or 12 days from the date her's periods are expected. At first I thought the delay is the side effect of the emergency contraceptive pill, but it has been more than a week. I'm seriously confused, shaken and literally going through hell... once again please help me.... and please pray to god that every thing gets back to normal.. :((
 Debbie Miller, RN - Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:39 am

Emergency contraception can interfere with the normal cycle and it could take a while for things to get back to "normal" as you say, but keep in mind it is also considered normal to miss or have a late period at times. Hormones fluctuate. You do not say if you had sex again after the October period. If not, this further supports the idea that she is not pregnant. The period occurs when pregnancy has not happened so I am assuming that is the case with her period. What is happening this month could be just a normal variation. If she happened to get pregnant against all odds on the day in question, the period would likely not have happened or would have been much lighter than usual.

A pregnancy test should put your mind at ease or confirm your fears. Since she is late this month the test should tell by now.

urfi - Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:48 pm

HeY.... i am adnan from Pakistan.

1. I recently did sex with my GF. i entered my half penis inside her but didnt discharged my sperm inside her. but i m confused that may b i left one or two drops of spurm inside her, because when i felt that i m going to discharge i suddenly out my penis but i m still confused.. Is it possible that she can become pregnent with one or two spurms..?
and what are the pre-symptoms of Pregenency?[/b]

Regards;
Adnan
 Totally Confused - Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:21 pm

I was supposed to have my monthly last weekend on the 12th. I start like clockwork almost every month. I started on Friday but only spotted. Spotting last 2 days. Pinkish/brownish but not much at all. I have started a new job and work 40+ hours for the last 2 weeks. I am on BC but I feel that maybe it has failed. I still have not had a normal period, my back aches, I am bloated and a little cramping. I have taken a few home PG tests and all neg. Can I still be prego? I have heard that maybe that spotting was implantation bleeding and it could take up to 2 weeks after that for the HcG to register on a test if you don't produce high levels of it. What should I do? Could I be prego? or maybe just a screwed up period this month? Thanks.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:04 pm

User avatar Hello to urfi,

There is a possibility of pregnancy even with minimal discharge of semen/sperm. The earliest sign of possible pregnancy is usually a missed period. If this happens, your girlfriend can take a home pregnancy test. Other symptoms include breast tenderness, sometimes frequent urination and nausea.

I would recommend that you get some condoms to be prepared and avoid such a scare in the future. It will also reduce your risk of sexually transmitted infections.

Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:07 pm

User avatar To Totally Confused,
Yes, you could be pregnant in spite of birth control since the only 100% reliable method is abstinence. You should repeat the pregnancy test one week later if you still have not had a more normal period. You are correct that the hcg levels can be undetectable at first. Of course it could be a false alarm, aggravated by stress. I'm afraid you'll have to wait and see or go to a clinic for a serum (blood) pregnancy test which can detect pregnancy a bit earlier.

I do hope you are taking a multivitamin since you are sexually active and it is important in case of pregnancy to have adequate folic acid on board at the outset.

crystal_david - Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:26 am

Hello, i am having odd symptoms and i am woundering if i could be pregnaght.
i am 5 days late on my period, alot of discharge, pressure in my uterius, sore nippiles, fatige, and some naughiousness. my fiancee and i ahave unprotected sex every night and we have been doing this for 6 months. so i know there is a chance i am. but i wanted a docters veiw on things before i take a test.

also i am having pressure in my vaginal hole, it sometimes has a sharp pain in it.

p.s. i am 18 and my fiancee is 19, plus he does have a child from a previous realationship.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:51 am

You are having symptoms of pregnancy and the odds are quite likely with regular sexual intercourse. I would suggest a pregnancy test to confirm this. Meanwhile make sure you are taking a multivitamin containing at least 400 mcg folate.

crystal_david - Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:42 pm

thank you on ur reply. i am still late on my period and i had light spotting last night. and i threw up last night also. i am having odd cravings. i hate tuna and i had to make a tuna sandwich last night. i cant afford a pregnacey test for a week. so my question is how much of a chance do i have of being prego and if i am how far along am i? my last peroid was feburay 17th. and it lasted 3 days.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:45 pm

I'd say chances are pretty good for pregnancy if I were gambling. A home pregnancy test can be purchased at a dollar store and many hospitals or Planned Parenthood offer free testing. Call around or check with your local health department for possible resources for testing.

sweetmaverick - Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:18 am

Hii....
i am 23 years old...and recently i had sex with my bf, but it was not actual penetration...he did not enter me but he rubbed his penis and inserted it in a bit .... we have done this before but i never thought we did enuf to get pregnant.... i missed my periods this month, it was due on 23 rd -24th this month....and we had this intercourse on 6th -7th....are there any chances that i am pregnant?? Wen he ejaculated i am not sure if it entered my vagina.....How can i know if i am pregnant...??
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:44 pm

While penetration is necessary for pregnancy, it can happen even if it is a minimal amount of time inside the vagina so you should take a pregnancy test. A home test is usually reliable a day or so after your period is expected but missed. This is really the only way to know.

bmind - Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:41 pm

Hello, I am 25 and not on any form of birth control. My last period was somewhere between March 11 and 17. On March 24 I had intercourse with my boyfriend, he used a condom. On March 26 we did not have sex but he ejaculated on my stomach and fingered me pretty deeply. Fairly sure he did not have cum on his hand then. March 27 we had sex again, again with a condom. Both times were fairly rough with deep penetration. On March 29 I started cramping, and had frequent urination and some slight nausea throughout the day--mostly gagging. Cramps and frequent urination continued until April 2. As of April 3 only symptom is mild cramping with some concentration in lower left pelvis.

I have not had any intercourse in a couple years, and I was recently diagnosed with severe acid reflux (February 2009). The past 2 weeks I have not been taking my full medication daily or eating well, so maybe nausea caused by that? I'm also wondering if cramping may be due to irritation that I was not used to? Is it too early to have symptoms of pregnancy and would they go away so soon? Is it just pms? And how soon could I take a test?

Thank you for your help.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:33 pm

Proper use of a condom is a very reliable form of contraception so my first thought would not be pregnancy. Also, cramping is not a sign of early pregnancy and nausea also doesn't usually occur until 5-7 weeks. If you don't get your period within a week of when you expect it, you certainly could take a pregnancy test. These are usually reliable within a few days of the period's due date. Sometimes a false negative occurs so if you still don't get a period you can repeat the test a week later.

I suspect your symptoms could be due to any number of things such as urinary tract infection, other virus, emotional factors relating to renewed sexual activity and relationship changes. If it doesn't subside, you may want to have your urine checked since UTIs are very common in women, especially when sexually active and your frequency and cramping is typical with this disorder. You should definitely take your medication for acid reflux as directed because that can confuse the issue as well and damage can be done with the acid in the esophagus.

bmind - Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:30 pm

THank you so much for your quick response! You have certainly put my mind at ease. I do still have some twinges and dull aches in my lower abdomen. I have a scheduled appointment with my doctor this Thursday and if cramping persists, I will certainly ask about UTI testing!

Thanks again for your help, take care. :)
 chocokit - Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:03 am

Hi, please help me! My boyfriend fingered me on Wednesday, his underwear was a bit wet(precum) and it is possible that he had touched it(his underwear I mean) before fingering me. He also pushed his penis to my anal hole,but only through his underwear. I am on the pill (diane 35) I have taken all the pills.. Is it a problem if for example I took it at 10 PM instead of 9 PM? I took all of them between 9-10:15 PM. 3 days after my boyfriend had fingered me, so on Saturday I in the morning at 5 A.M then at 5 PM and on Sunday at 7 AM i took antibiotics. Can these lead to the diane 35 not have the the effect and getting pregnant? is it possible for me to get pregnant??
 caps - Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:08 pm

hi, my boyfriend and i had sex about a week ago, we didnt use protection but penetration was minimal and he did not ejaculate. it was on my 14th day of a 28 day cycle and i know precum might have sperm so to be safe i took the morning after pill the next morning, so around 12 hours after. i had been feeling fine but 3 days after, i started having some nausea, mainly burping like crazy, i want to know if that is caused by the morning pill, or im i pregnant? how are my chances of being pregnant? my period isnt due till end of this week
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:41 pm

User avatar Two questions needing answers here

To: chocokit

Your risk of pregnancy is extremely slim. While originally we worried that many antibiotics would affect the pill, we now know that it is only a very few, rarely used antibiotics (Rifampin in particular) that cause this problem. You also are fine to vary the time of day a little, though staying as close as possible is good since it helps you remember, but even a forgotten pill usually does not result in pregnancy, especially if you take it later when you remember.

As for whether or not it is possible, yes, there is always a possibility of pregnancy while on the pill if you have sexual intercourse, because no method except abstinence and confirmed sterility is 100% effective in preventing it. But your risk is extremely low since you did not actually have penile penetration in the vagina which is necessary for pregnancy to occur. If you were pregnant, I would suspect there was more activity than what you have described here. Sex without actual intercourse does not result in pregnancy under any circumstances except artificial insemination because semen/sperm must reach the cervix and that is a bit of a distance from your anus. The additional protection of underwear adds reassurance.

Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:44 pm

User avatar To: caps

Your chances of pregnancy are highly unlikely with the plan B pill, but nothing is 100% reliable so there is always a slight possibility. If you don't get your period a few days after you expect it, take a test to confirm it. Your nausea could be the result of the pill you took or something totally unrelated, but it is very unlikely it is pregnancy caused at this early date (assuming pregnancy miraculously occurred).

Please plan another method of birth control so you won't have to stress over this next time.

branflakes777 - Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:39 pm

HI
I have been spotting since March 21st and it is now April 13th. My period was supposed to come on April 1st. The spotting is very minimal and only happens sometimes when I wipe. It is either brown or pink. I took a pregnancy test on the 4th and it was negative. I don't feel pregnant at all although I am trying to concieve. I had a miscarriage in December 2007. I am just wondering if what is going on and if this has happened to anyone else. Thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:46 pm

It is impossible to say if you are pregnant or not since many women do experience light bleeding in early pregnancy, and many women experience breakthrough bleeding and irregular periods at times in their lives. The only thing you can really do is repeat the pregnancy test weekly, in case you are getting a false negative due to low hcg levels or see a doctor for a serum (blood) test which is more sensitive. Be sure you are following the instructions exactly.

heatherd2178 - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:13 am

hi i am in a similar situation somewhat. I have 2 children i am 20 years old. One is 3 months. My first period after was on the 4 of april. i had unprotected sex the 18 of april and 3 days after i started to get cramps. Then a few more days i was a bit dizzy and my breasts started to have a tingly itchy feeling to them. i have lower back pain on my right side that has been there since he cramping started and niether have gone away yet. I also am going to the bathroom a little more and have a bit of a temper. I also have a craving for double cheeseburgers all the time. I was wondering when i could test for it to be accurate and your thoughts on the situation?
 vfbsilva - Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:52 pm

Hi, I´m on a hard week here. While having intercourse with my gf a condom teared. She is on pill and reported strong bleeding on her period a week after the incident. How much worried should I be?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:04 pm

This would not be a typical symptom of early pregnancy and the chances, based on what you report, are extremely slim anyway.

I would be suspicious of a urinary tract infection, common in women, and often in conjunction with a change in sexual activity. You should at least have this checked since the cramping could be from the bladder.

Some women also experience pain at the time they ovulate. Using condoms for sex even if you were fertile at that time definitely is good protection so I would wait it out a little while. If your period doesn't start when you expect it, take a pregnancy test.

Breast sensations can come and go with hormonal fluctuation and I would not be alarmed at this.

nmrpratt - Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:44 am

I normally start my period on the 24th day of my cycle and it's been this way since it first began. However, i'm on my 27th day and have no signs of it starting.My fiancee' and I always use protection, but i'm still paranoid because i'm never late. I took a pregnancy test just to be sure and it said negative. Should I take another test?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri May 01, 2009 10:16 am

Even though you are very regular with your cycle it is always possible to be late once in a while even when not pregnant. Emotional factors sometimes delay a period and just plain hormonal fluctuation.

Since you use protection your chances are very good for not being pregnant. However, as you know, there are always a few exceptions. And, a pregnancy test is normally accurate about the time of the missed period, but sometimes the hcg levels are not yet high enough to be detected so repeating the test in a week is a good idea if your period hasn't started by then. The other option is a blood (serum) test that is more sensitive.

RAiiRaii - Sat May 02, 2009 11:22 am

Hello miss, im 19 nd i ave a 2 year old son
i had pre-eclampsia with him , and i feel sik i have constant back ache and diarrhea my eyes feel really funny. i ave ache in the top of my tummy and the bottom really bad gas and i also feel soooo tired do you think i sound like im pregnant im just gettin over a cough and cold too well i still have it and i have a chesty cough please help asap?? Rachael x
 chaibella - Mon May 04, 2009 5:21 pm

This complicated....
last month on a sunday I had unprotected sex with my ex-ex. The next day I had my usuall bad cramps. That night or the next day I got my period as expected. This action was a tipsy mistake of an ex fiane of over a year ago. I recently broke up with my last relationship. I saw him that following Tuesday to talk. We ended up having unprotected sex. That following Thursday we saw eachother again also having unprotected sex, but that time we attempted to do it twice in a row while he was leaking. He put it inside but didn't do it all the way cause it was hurting. Both time with these guys they pulled out-I am not on the pill. I am not due for my period until the 14th of this month or so.
My question is would you think I was pregnant and if so, who do you think most likely would be the father? The one I had unprotected sex with before my period or the one during? I know it sounds like a Jerry Springer situation but I was in a serious relationship with both of these guys but am still heartbrocken from the last one. The first one, we were drunk and it was a mistake. I'm no longer with any.
Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:24 pm

These would not be typical symptoms of pregnancy and it sounds like your risk would be quite low, based on your report of condom use, etc. It could be irritation, or perhaps a urinary tract infection. If symptoms continue you should see a doctor to find the cause of the pain. A pregnancy test can always be done at home if you miss your period.

quana91 - Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:59 pm

My boyfriend of two years told me that he ejaculated in the condom and when he took the condom off we had unprotected sex. My periods have been irregular since January of this year when this happen. My stomach has been getting bigger but Ive also taken several home pregnancy tests and they all came back negative. My lower back has been hurting.
The top of my stomach feels like as if something is kicking me
The bottom of my stomach feels as if it's streching.
I would like to know if there was a possibility of me getting pregnant during that time?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:11 am

It is possible to become pregnant this way since more semen is likely still present. You did not mention how long ago this happened or what your cycles have been doing since then.

Abdominal girth increase is not an early sign of pregnancy. In many young mothers pregnant with their first child, they don't "show" until 4-5 months. Everyone is different but the first signs are usually missed period, sometimes tender breasts and perhaps nausea. But stress can do these things to you also. If the test is negative and you still have not gotten your period, repeat a test after a week just to be sure.

It is also possible to tune into some "normal" abdominal feelings when you are aware that there could be a pregnancy. Kicking from a baby is not usually felt until the second half of the pregnancy. But bowels can have flutters that imitate this sensation.

Do use a condom EVERY time you have sex for protection.

Concernedgirl06 - Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:55 am

Me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex september 20th, I took the one step plan b pill the 21st it was roughly 26 hours after the sex. This was my first time ever taking any form of birth control. In september my period started on the 13th and it had ended the 19th, so the sex was the day after my period ended. I've been really stressed about this to the point I'm barely sleeping, constantly worrying and the day after before I took the pill, I physically got sick due to stress. My boyfriend bought me the ept pregnancy test where you could test 5 days before your missed period, it came with two in the box. I took the first test the 21st of october and it said not pregnant, the next day I had started what I thought was my period, I wasn't in as much pain as I normally am and the only other difference was I didn't bleed as much, but the second day it was alot lighter and I bled for three, maybe four days like this. so earlier tonight I took the second test and it said the same thing, I have no pregnancy symptomns; I'm not constipated, my breasts aren't tender at all, I don't have weird cravings and no morning sickness. I've been getting headaches everyday but I think that's from being so stressed cause this is all I've been thinking about, it's really worrying me. what are the chances I am if two tests said no and I'm not having symptomns after a month? could my period have been weird from the pill I took?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:33 am

Plan B does affect your periods because of the high level of hormones in it. The two negative tests, the timing of unprotected sex, and the plan B pretty much reduce your chances of pregnancy to almost zero. I suspect your symptoms are a combination of hormonal disruption from the pill, stress, and could even be from some completely unrelated cause that coincides with this scare.

You might consider birth control pills or some other option to reduce such future stress.

browngiant - Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:36 am

My wife and I had unprotected sex on October 12th. She had her period on the 26th. It came as part of her normal cycle - if anything it came early. However, I heard that girls can still get their period while being pregnant. Is that true? What are the chances of my wife being pregnant? By the way, she did take Plan B 72 hours after.
 alan123 - Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:56 am

My girlfriend started taking birth control pills for the first time on the first day of her period, and we had unprotected sex (I ejaculated in her / did not pull out) on the 5th day of her period. She has not missed a day taking her birth control pills. What are the chances of her getting pregnant? Thank you very much for your help.
 Concernedgirl06 - Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:19 am

Thank you so much for your reply Debbie, I'm sorry for not replying to what you said sooner I've been working alot so I haven't had the time to get on the computer.
I had sex september 20th, and took plan b one step the 21st. I took the ept test the 21st of october and it said not pregnant, I took another test a week later and it also said not pregnant.
However, in the last post I forgot to mention that the sex happened on the last day of my period. I hadn't bled all day but I started bleeding slightly during sex which is normal for me because if I sit around alot on the last day, I wont bleed so I'll assume I'm off until I start doing something that requires alot of movement and I start bleeding again.
It's been two months and one day since the unprotected sex, I still have no symptomns at all. no brest tenderness, no morning sickness, no weird cravings, nothing.
I had what I thought was a period last month around the 21st, as I explained in my last post but it was short and light which you said could be the plan b and stress coinciding.
so my questions now are does the fact that I bled during sex make the chance of me being pregnant higher?
and you also said that the plan b can cause your periods to be irregular, but I should still have some kind of one, correct?
even if it's short.
I should start in a few days and I'm really hoping that happens but if not, is this a bad sign?
And lastly, knowing that I bled during sex, do you still believe the chances are pretty much zero?

Please reply as soon as possible.
thanks so much.

|