News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Fertility Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Fertility Answers List

Forum Name: Female Sexual Disorders

Question: Vaginal sores - not herpes

rasuhrj - Sat Apr 09, 2005 11:11 am

I have two small sores that look like canker sores on the opening of my vagina on the soft moist tissue area. I know these cannot be herpes as I have been in a monogomous relationship for the past 35 years and both my husband and I never had relations with anyone else - even prior to marriage. I am post-menopausal. I currently have the flu (don't know if there is a relationship.) They are open and they hurt when I wipe or touch the area. Please tell me what they could be and what I can do to help alleviate the pain.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:58 pm

Sexually active persons who have genital ulcers have either
genital herpes,
syphilis or
chancroid.

Since you are confident about your monogamous relationshlip, it is unlikely that you have syphilis or chancroid. Syphilis produces a painless ulcer, unlike genital herpes and chancroid which are usually painful.

Any history of cunninglingus (male-to-female oral sex) with your husband? Genital herpes Type 1 (HSV-1) can be spread by oral sex. Some persons with HSV-2 have mild or unrecognised infections that shed virus intermittently in the genital tract. Many cases of genital herpes are transmitted by persons who are unaware that they have the infection or are without symptoms when transmission occurs.

Ideally, any sexually active person who has genital ulcers should be evaluated for all three causes which I have listed above.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 mamo - Mon Sep 05, 2005 1:49 pm

what if you haven't been sexually active for the last 10 years?
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:01 pm

Every genital ulcer should be evaluated to determine aetiology, whether it is acquired with or without sexual contact. Trauma, thrush, eczema, Behcet’s disease, or drug reactions may cause non-sexual genital ulcers.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 tonyia18 - Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:31 pm

I HAVE BEEN TESTED FOR SEXUALLY TRANSMITTED DISEASES OVER 10 TIMES NOT A BAD GIRL OR NOTHING JUST LIKE TO BE SAFE... I HAVE HAD CRACKS AND THINGS THAT HAVE WORRIED ME SOMETIME THE SKIN IS DRY OR IRRETATED AND IT SPLITS.
DOSE NOT MEAN YOU HAVE A DISEASE, PEOPLE MAKE YOU WANT TO GO CRAZY SOMETIMES, THE BEST THING I CAN ADVISE YOU TO DO IS SEE A GYNO, JUST INCASE.
GOODLUCK
 VegasGrl - Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:07 pm

The first entry from rasuhrj [/b] dated 4/9 says that she has sores on the soft tissue are (lip) of her virgina and during this time she had the flu. When these two (white headed/ painful) bumps came up it was after i had gotten over the flu. Can there be a relationship and did anyone ever find out what she had?

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here