Question: hours of vomiting/nausea after eating

cmfatlanta - Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:19 am

For about the last two years I have had this condition. I am 28 years old, athletic, and in good health other than the vomiting issue. When episodes are not occuring I eat normal.

The severe vomiting/nausea happens about once or twice every month. I feel I am more susceptible for an episode to happen when I am exhausted feeling, sore muscles, or have not had any food/water over several hours. When most episodes occur I can normally tell I will be getting sick soon after putting a few bites into my mouth. Once an episode begins I normally get severe nausea, heavy breathing, and eventually I will then vomit. After the first vomit I normally feel ok for about 10 minutes before another round of nausea & vomiting returns and this cycle goes on for several hours until the stomach is beyond empty. If I even drink water during these episodes the body rejects it and causes me to vomit. The only relief seems to be to get in a hot shower. I have tried Reglan, Aciphex, Phenergan and none seem to help.

I have seen my primary care physician several times, 3 different Gastrologist from the Digestive Care group, a Rheumatologist and had to be taken to the hospital 3 times due to the severe dehydration. They have done and ultrasound, endoscopy ultrasounds, cat scans, gastric emptying test, several blood test that have shown no positive results of damage/diseases.

The only significant problem DR's have found is my CPK count can increase way beyond the norm. An episode happened once on a snowboarding trip and I went snowboarding the next day with only drinking water and eating granola bars and was hospitalized the next morning due to my severe exhaustion and dehydration, test had shown my CPK count to be over 200,000 and I held in the hospital (Mercy Medical Center, Durango CO.) for 4 nights.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated, I don't know whether to return to a DR and what kind of DR I should go see. The last DR visit was to a rhuemotologist who didn't seem very interested in my problem and 3 weeks later retired.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:29 pm

User avatar Dear cmfatlanta,

These symptoms are very suggestive of an immune reaction to certain toxins or allergic element in your food.

Food allergy to a particular food present with an itching in the mouth at the begin of eating, then minutes while digested in the stomach, vomiting, diarrhea, and abdominal pain occur. When the allergens reach the bloodstream, skin reactions, muscle pain, blood pressure changes occur. this may take from few minutes to an hour.

The patient should observe when an adverse reaction starts, which type of food has been taken.

Common foods that cause allergy include: shellfish such as shrimp, crayfish, lobster, and crab.

Exclusion of food intolerance due to enzyme deficiency is important: Lactose intolerance and Gluten intolerance.

CPK is an enzyme that is present in the heart, brain, and skeletal muscle. Muscle damage causes elevated CPK3 and isoenzyme that is specific for the muscles.

Follow up with your doctor is essential. You can discuss with him this information

|