News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain above belly button

wj07 - Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:51 am

I am a 25 yr old male. I have been having stomach pain above my belly button for the past year now. However, about 6 months ago the pain started to change. Whenever I started to eat my stomach would get bloated despite eating only small amounts & my stomach would hurt at this point. However, this condition has improved alot, though it does still happen occasionally. It seems to be worse when I eat carbohydrates. Now I ocassionally feel bloated in the space above my belly button to the start of my rib cage.

However, even if I am not feeling bloated, whenever I press the area above my belly button I feel pain. I can feel like a pulse in this area as well, is this normal? This has been ongoing for about one year.

I have had adominal CT scan, ultra-sound, upper and lower endoscopy. All came back without any problems. I haven't had any tests for my small instestine though, since the hospital doesn't have such facilities.

The doctor before diagnosed me with gastroenteritis & neurological gastroenteritis. However, since the medication made no difference to the pain he took me off them.

What should I do next and what could be the problem?
[/b]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:33 am

User avatar Hello,

You could have functional dyspepsia. This is a condition in which no organic cause for dyspepsia is found. It is very commoon. If your doctor has diagnosed gastroparesis has he performed any tests to confirm this. Gastric manometry is a specialized test but does confirm the diagnosis and may give clues as to what the causes are.

Have you been given H2 blockers without any improvement? Are you diabetic? I think a good idea since you are still complaining is to seek the help of a gastroenterologist.

Best regards.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here