News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blacking Out During Bowel Movement

tbarnes42 - Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:11 pm

Hello,
I am a 32 year old Male.

2 days ago in the morning i was sitting on the toilet going the bathroom (bowel movement). i had been sort of "stopped up" for a couple days. either going only a little bit...or not at all.

anyway...this particular morning i started going a little bit. then i had a sort of dull pain right down at my anus. I WAS NOT PRESSING DOWN HARD......i feel thats an important point. i was just letting it go.

i started seeing spots and blacking out. i tried to fight it off and concentrate..but it didnt work. when i came to, i was still on the toilet, slouched over to the right a bit. i was talking out loud very fast and repeating something (although i cant remeber what i was saying). my mind was racing and my hands were shaking. i had cold sweats and still seeing spots. i also had a chipped front tooth. i don't know if i was biting down real hard.....or maybe my teeth were chattering and it chipped it.

i felt like i was losing my mind....it was racing and i couldnt control myself.

anyway...when i came to and mentally recovered i went the bathroom a liitle more. i felt alot better afterwards

a couple of points:

1) like i said above..i was NOT bearing down hard. if anything it was something hurting while trying to get through. but i think everythign was soft coming out. maybe just a bunched up bolus of soft stool???

2) no blood in the toilet or on the toilet paper

3) this did happen before about 2 years ago..although not as bad as this time. i just started getting light headed and seeing spots and stuff

4) i have gone the bathroom just fine both of the 2 days after this event. hasnt heppened again.....and i feel fine now.

does anyone have any thought about what this might have been? sorry for teh long message....i amn just a little freaked out.

Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:24 am

User avatar Hi tbarnes42,
Vasovagal syncope is a fairly common occurrence sometimes without an identifiable causative factor. Essentially, sometimes when pressure is near the vagus nerve, the blood pressure drops, decreases oxygen to the brain for a short time, and fainting occurs. Sweating, seeing spots, etc. are present.
Be sure to mention that you have experienced such an episode to your physician when you go in for an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here