Question: Major gas, burping, and rumbling in my stomach

chrysa - Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:02 pm

Im a 24 yr old female...For about 2 months now, I have had constant rumbling in my lower abdomen. I have had loss of appetite resulting in weight loss. I only drink water. I do not smoke, drink alcohol, use drugs, or take ANY medication. I was however taking celexa for about 5 yrs one year ago. I was taking celexa because of anxiety, panic attacks, and depression, which I still suffer from. I have been under ALOT of stress recently. My diet consists of alot of pasta, cheese, chicken broth, crackers, chips, popcicles, peas, spinnach, and some granola bars. I eat in small settings throughout the whole day and sometimes I wake up and eat and then go back to sleep. I have frequent urination especially during my menstrual period, which I am on now. This morning I woke up with very loud, deep belches. And have been burping all day. I have quite a bit of gas and "air bubbles" in my vagina. What are all these symptoms of? Should I be worried or concerned? Are they all related? *Thanks*
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Dec 23, 2006 9:58 am

Gas in the intestine is produced by the act of bacteria on the food while being digested.

The common causes of excess gas and burping are
-Irritable bowel syndrome
-Eating certain types of food that are not easily digested.
-Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance).

According to your description, You probably experience a form of IBS.
IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic.

The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint off one of the following symptoms:
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Abdominal pain or colic
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause Constipation or Diarrhea .

Stress and anxiety alone can cause similar symptoms as well as increases the frequency and the severity of IBS symptoms in almost all cases.

Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history, physical examination, and exclusion of other causes that give similar clinical picture like GERD, gastritis, indigestion, and gall bladder disease, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis.

Direct clinical examination is essential.

|