Question: very bloated belly?

ebrkprmom - Tue Jun 29, 2004 10:23 pm

For as long as I can remember, I've always been unproportioned...my belly being a size or 2 bigger than my legs, which makes me look like I am a couple months pregnant. My mom is the same way, as was her mom, so I always just assumed it ran in the family. After recently losing 20 lbs. on weight watchers, I'm back down to a size 8 pants, but could actualy wear a 6 if not for my belly. I've noticed, though, that when I eat tiny portions of food, my belly gets pretty flat and doesn't roll over the top of my jeans. But if I eat more than microscopic portions, my belly bloats. For a couple of weeks I began taking laxatives once or twice a week, which basically would cause diahrrea, thus flattening my belly again. I loved the way my stomach looked afterward, but I then realized this was very bad for me, so I began taking fiber pills instead, but they don't flatten my belly nearly as much as the laxatives did.
My question is, is this just an inherited thing, or is there something actually wrong with me? Is there something I can do or take to get my belly more proportioned with the rest of my body, or am I just doomed to look like this?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 30, 2004 3:32 am

User avatar Hello ebrkprmom,
There are many factors that contribute to having a large belly. If indeed the reason is you are bloated you may need medication to help normalize colonic movement and prevent gas accumulation. That is something a doctor would have to determine after performing an examination.
Other factors include increased fat. For that you should perform sit-ups in addition to weight loss. when done properly, sit-ups help tone the muscles in your midsection, which can help protect your back as well as improve your physique.
 ebrkprmom - Wed Jun 30, 2004 7:26 am

If a doctor were to determine I am bloated due to gas or constipation, what type of medication might he prescribe? Fiber? Or a prescription medication? And if I were to go to the doctor about this problem, what exactly would he do to determine if it is a colon problem or just excess weight? I'm not overweight at all, I'm right where I should be except in my middle.

As far as doing crunches or sit ups, I've recently read that they may actually cause the belly to appear more bloated because they cause the stomach muscles to bunch up rather than stretch out. I do ride my bike 6 miles (about 3 times a week) but that isn't helping my stomach at all.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:51 pm

User avatar Dear ebrkprmom,
I don't want to prescribe to a you an otc medication without examining you. The doctor you will go to will be trained to identify the cause of your enlarged belly quite easily by examination. If it does turn out to be colonic gas, this does not stop here a search for a reason maybe warranted. The most common cause of bloating is a spastic colon which is affected by mood and stress. However, other causes should also be excluded it all depends on the examination.

Crunches are good for your abdominal muscle tone just don't overdo it.

Regards.
 jtjalil - Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:35 pm

ebrkprmom, I just read your entry and I have exactly the same problem. I was just telling my husband that I have hit rock bottom - there doesn't seem to be anything that helps reduce my belly. I too look like i am pregnant. It is so embarassing and I just can't take it anymore. If you learn anything that you think helps, let me know - i completely understand where you are coming from...

|