Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: What Do Yellow Eyes Mean?

Michelle73 - Wed May 09, 2007 2:55 pm

Someone told me once that yellow found in the white part of the eyes has something to do with the liver. Is this true? I'm a 33 year old female with a history of Anxiety. I've had my Gallbladder removed seven years ago, and used to be Lactose Intolerant. Since my Gallbladder surgery, I forced myself to drink more milk, and now I have no pain from drinking it, as I did before. The main question is about the yellow in the eyes. My eyes have been yellow for over ten years now.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 09, 2007 5:55 pm

User avatar Yellowing of the eyes can be due to increased bilirubin in the blood being deposited in the eyes (known as scleral icterus). The bilirubin level in the blood can rise if the liver is having trouble processing it and excreting it.

There are a few other causes of elevated bilirubin and there are a few other causes of yellowing of the eyes including variations of normal coloring. I suspect in your case, since it has been going on for 10 years it is very unlikely to represent liver issues.

I would recommend you mention this to your doctor at your next check up. You may want to have some liver enzyme testing to measure your bilirubin and enzymes as a screening test for liver problems.

|