News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Fungal infection in my GI tract?

verysickguy - Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:21 am

A very desperate 27 year old male here.

Is it possible to get a fungal infection in my GI tract that could cause chronic diarrhea, frequent bowel movements and sweating on my rear? During the worst of my symptoms I experienced severe malabsorption, dropping 50 lbs.

For 6+ months I have been to numerous GI doctors; who eventually have all blown me off after blood tests and biopsies from colonoscopies have all come back negative. Some irritation was discovered in my illeum, but they had no idea what was causing it. Tests for crohn's and colitis have all come back negative, they have attributed the excessive moisture around my anus/buttrack to be seepage but it is has no color, odor or fecal matter in it. I have recently learned that the white texture I couldn't brush off my tongue (had it for years) was fungal in nature and a week on anti-thrush medication seems to have helped. Could a fungus overgrowth be the cause or am I grasping at straws here? The possibility of fungus came to mind after I did some internet searches after some particularly foul sulfurish smelling gas while taking probiotics. Since starting a Nystatin treatment I have even been able to skip cholesteramine doses, which previously was the only way to keep my diarrhea under any control.

Just wondering if this is possible or not, as 6+ months now of seeing doctors that couldn't help has gotten quite expensive and forced me to drop out of university just months before graduation. I'd like to get my life back...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 pm

User avatar Hi Verysickguy,

Fungal overgrowth in the GI tract is possible but not common. You mention that you had thrush. It is also not common for an adult to get thrush.

I would suggest you consider seeing an immunologist to evaluate your immune system. If your immune system is having problems it may allow excess growth of the fungus.

Also, since using some nystatin has helped your condition some, you may want to talk to your doctor about considering using a medication to treat fungal growth and see if this helps your condition.

Best wishes.
 verysickguy - Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:21 pm

Dr. Chan Lowe wrote:Hi Verysickguy,

Fungal overgrowth in the GI tract is possible but not common. You mention that you had thrush. It is also not common for an adult to get thrush.

I would suggest you consider seeing an immunologist to evaluate your immune system. If your immune system is having problems it may allow excess growth of the fungus.

Also, since using some nystatin has helped your condition some, you may want to talk to your doctor about considering using a medication to treat fungal growth and see if this helps your condition.

Best wishes.

Thank you. I do understand that it's rare but I have been to a half dozen doctors here so far, all providing NO help whatsoever... so I am getting desperate and looking into obscure problems. The white stuff on my tongue is definitely still there, though, so I can verify oral thrush at least. Are there any other conditions that might cause sweating or watery seepage around my anus/buttcrack? I am currently trying a topical cream from my general practicioner but it has unfortunately coincided with another case of diarrhea so I'm not sure if it's helping. I have again recently had a small amount of mucus in my stool, which I hadn't seen for months. :( Doctors are stumped and just keep passing me around via referrals when they can't figure it out.

Re: my immune system, I have had blood tests done at the ER and at normal doctors office visits.. everything comes back absolutely normal.
 GIfighter2 - Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:02 pm

Hey, verysickguy,

I have something very similar to you. Except for the sweating, I have every single symptom you have. Did you get it fixed yet? I worked very hard to get rid of my diarrhea-every-day-no-matter-what-I-ate.

What worked was:
- Flush out the whole system with laxative and plenty of fluids.. fasting for about 2 days
- then increase dietary fiber (one or two tbsp of ground flax seed sprinkled over EVERY MEAL)
- Eat only approved foods following the strict diet in this book: "Complete Candida Yeast Guidebook, Revised 2nd Edition: Everything You Need to Know About Prevention, Treatment & Diet [Paperback]"

So I ingested lots of probiotics, natural antifungals/anti-yeast (like Threelac, GSE, acidophilous, clove/black walnut/wormwood, olive leaf extract, oil of oregano, etc)

Slowly but surely, my condition is improving. I seem to have a lactose/wheat allergy possibly, since cutting those out of my diet made noticeable and substantial improvements in my physical and mental abilities. Also, I alternate between B-complex vitamin supplements, daily multivitamin. Extra magnesium definitely seems to help.

I hope you're still reading this forum, and hope you're okay :)

Took me a year to make serious progress on my issue, but it's been affecting me a lot longer than that.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here