News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Piece of skin protruding from anus

Michael334 - Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:55 am

Hi, I seem to have a piece of skin, about the diameter of a pencil's eraser, protruding from my anus. It's about .25 of an inch long. I can push it back inside with my finger, but it seems to come out again if I tighten the muscles in the area, like I would if I'm pushing out a bowl movement. No pain and no bleeding, but quite surprising, and I'm concerned. Any idea what this might be? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am

User avatar Hello,
This sounds like a hemorrhoid. It is not alarming but may result from constipation. If this is the case and you strain with bowel movements, taking preventive measures would be a good idea to avoid more serious hemorrhoids and inflammation in the future.

This would include a daily fiber supplement such as Metamucil, Citracel or Konsyl, increasing your water intake, daily exercise and allowing yourself adequate time for bowel movements on a regular basis. Busy people often put off this job until things have become a bit plugged up. Prevention now can save much distress in the future.

Best wishes.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:29 pm

User avatar Hello,
I have moved your most recent post here because the question has already been addressed. Repeating the same question is against the forum rules and we have to delete them as we have done with your other duplicates.

I noticed a piece of skin protruding out of my anus, about .25 of an inch long and about .125 of an inch in diameter. I can push it back in, but it comes out again when I tighten muscles in the area. No pain, no bleeding, but I'm very concerned. What is this? Is it serious?

Please refer to the answer above.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here