Question: Piece of skin protruding from anus

Michael334 - Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:55 am

Hi, I seem to have a piece of skin, about the diameter of a pencil's eraser, protruding from my anus. It's about .25 of an inch long. I can push it back inside with my finger, but it seems to come out again if I tighten the muscles in the area, like I would if I'm pushing out a bowl movement. No pain and no bleeding, but quite surprising, and I'm concerned. Any idea what this might be? Thank you.
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:57 am

This sounds like a hemorrhoid. It is not alarming but may result from constipation. If this is the case and you strain with bowel movements, taking preventive measures would be a good idea to avoid more serious hemorrhoids and inflammation in the future.

This would include a daily fiber supplement such as Metamucil, Citracel or Konsyl, increasing your water intake, daily exercise and allowing yourself adequate time for bowel movements on a regular basis. Busy people often put off this job until things have become a bit plugged up. Prevention now can save much distress in the future.

Debbie Miller, RN - Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:29 pm

I have moved your most recent post here because the question has already been addressed. Repeating the same question is against the forum rules and we have to delete them as we have done with your other duplicates.

I noticed a piece of skin protruding out of my anus, about .25 of an inch long and about .125 of an inch in diameter. I can push it back in, but it comes out again when I tighten muscles in the area. No pain, no bleeding, but I'm very concerned. What is this? Is it serious?

Please refer to the answer above.

|