Question: spotting but no period?

vagrl - Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:53 pm

I am 25yr old female and i have a 4month old, 2yr old and a 3yr old. I had 2 periods after i had my 4month old and i am waiting for this month's to come. i had my last period starting december 17 and i used to have irregular periods that would fall on different times of the month but usually every month. I have been experiencing spotting but not enough for a pad or anything for maybe a week and a half now.after intercourse it is a little stronger but not that much. I wanted to know if maybe this is due to stress or if i should take a pregnancy test. I have been using condoms for the most part and if not that then my husband will pull out before ejaculation. I am worried about this and wondering why just the spotting and no period yet. Thank you.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:18 am

The causes of absence of menstruation for less than 3 cycles are similar to the causes of amenorrhea (cessation of menses), with the exception of anatomic or chromosomal etiologies. Hypothalamic, pituitary, or ovarian hormonal dysfunction is less severe or of shorter duration than with amenorrhea.[1]

Causes include pregnancy, ectopic pregnancy (especially if you have had a tubal ligation), use of hormonal birth control methods (such as birth control pills or hormonal injections or implants), recently stopping birth control pills or breast-feeding. Other causes such as rapid weight loss, obesity, excessive exercise or participation in endurance sports, menopause, severe stress or lifestyle change, use of certain medications and hormone imbalance. Other, more serious causes of missed periods include tumors, pituitary disorders, and other glandular problems involving the ovaries, thyroid, or adrenal glands. These problems are rare.

Usually if the period is late and the woman is not pregnant, the cause is hormonal--she is not ovulating regularly for some reason. Weight changes and stress levels can disrupt the menstrual cycle; so can being peri-menopausal, taking some medications, and engaging in heavy exercise.

After excluding pregnancy, the usual recommendation is if you miss more than three cycles or have any symptoms that are worrying you, you should see your doctor to check for the cause of the problem. Usually it does not turn out to be serious and may resolve on its own before you even get in for the appointment.

First, I recommend that you take a pregnancy test.

References:
==========
1. Jonathan S. Berek: Novak's Gynecology, 13th ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2002.
 Kayday23 - Sat May 23, 2009 12:18 am

Ok im 15 ive been having sex with my boyfriend for 4 months now almost like everyday, and we use protection and the pull out method too, but ive been doing research about pregnancy and it says your breast get soar and stuff and lately my breast have been hurting and im superr hungry all the time and tired, I was supposed to get my period today and i didnt i get cramps like some of the girls up there but i don't have my period.I havent took a test yet because i read somewhere that you wait like 3 weeks before it actually can tell if your pregnant. Im really scared im 15 and i cant be pregnant my mom will make me get an abortion and break up with my boyfriend and i love him, do you think im pregnant? is it bad to have sex almost everyday ? im really scared i go to bed crying thinking thattt im pregnant. Ive been waiting for today to come thinking im getting my periodd yay even though my nipples were soar but i thought maybe if i get my period ill be fine but i didnt get it so what do i do noww helppp meee pleaseeee.
Now i went to the bathroom and i wiped m selff and there was a little bloood very little you could hardlyy see it so i put on a pad , but the pad doesnt get stained so i need to know what this means? am i pregnant ? Am i sick ? Is this Normal ? Im scared please help me.

|