Question: Nipple sensitivity/strange breast sensations...

lmm - Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:54 am

I am 25 years old and never had any previous trouble with my breasts, no personal history of cancer and no family history of breast cancer. Recently (over the last month), I have experienced strange sensations in my left breast, and since it is unilateral, that has made me a bit more concerned. There is a pinching pain in the upper and outside of my breast radiating in and ending at the nipple which has been erect more frequently than usual, as well as a somewhat tender sensation in the nipple but no apparent swelling or redness. Oddly, I sometimes have more dull, fleeting pains accompanying the breast sensations in the region around the left collarbone and beneath the breast, around the left armpit and inner arm, and under the left shoulder blade. I went to two different doctors and asked them to give me a breast exam but neither found anything questionable. The only things I can think of that might be related include slightly increased caffeine intake, poor posture/muscular stress (a lot of computer/desk work these days), and/or a recently diagnosed ovarian cyst which has I am not certain has resolved since I haven't done any follow-up (but again, would this cause something unilateral?).

So I'm not sure what to think, but I am anxious about it. Since the breast is composed of basically just fat and glands, but no muscle, is it possible that this kind of breast/nipple sensitivity and pain could be a result of muscle strain? Could referred pain cause something like this?

Many thanks for your time!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:40 am

It could be referred pain and could be related an inflammation within the breast tissue.

Your obvious concern is breast cancer, and if you check our breast cancer page you will notice that breast pain is the presenting symptom in approximately 5% of breast cancer patients.

Menstrual disturbances can cause breat pain and this is more usually bilateral however, it can present with breast pain and tenderness on one side.

If your breasts were found to be free on examination then there probably is nothing to worry about. If the condition doesn't go within a few more weeks then you could consider presenting to your gynecologist again who may prescribe an anti-inflammatory drug.

anir - Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:15 pm

Hi - I know the initial post here is very old, but I'm having the same problem with my left breast. My pain is only on my left breast and it's not constant. When I touch the bottom of my breast or rub against something hard a piercing pain radiates to my nipple. I've gone to the doctor for an examination but they said it didn't seem like something was wrong. I'm going to get an ultrasound next week.

I would like to contact the person who posted here originally to find out what it was she had. Is this possible?

Thanks!

|