Question: Pelvic Swelling

Jane5182 - Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:32 pm

I am 45 year old female with symptoms that I have never experienced. I was hoping someone might have some idea what is going on.

These symptoms have been constant for at least 2-3 months. It is as though something is swollen or enlarged in the pelvic area and putting pressure on the bladder and colon.

These are my symptoms:

1- Swollen pelvis- right above pelvic bone/ no pains, just tender and sore, seems to be most tender in center.
2- Urine incontenance/ stream seems to be forceful and narrow.
3- Bladder spasms/ occassionaly
4- Constipation/ bowel movements are flat. *Extremely new to me.... I have always been regular and never experienced constipation before.
5- NO abnormal bleeding, or presents of blood in BM as far as I can tell.

I first thought that it might be a UTI, since I get recurring infections although it didn't feel like my "usual infections". However, I have tested negative 3 times in the past 2 months. My doctor doesn't really seem to offer any reasons or course of action. Just the lets wait and see method.

If someone could give me a possible idea what they think is going on, I would at least know what kind of specialty doctor I should go see. Oh.... I am positive these symptoms are NOT from be pregnant! lol

TO ALL THE MEDICAL SPECIALIST: Please know how much we appreciate all the time and effort you put into volunteering on this website. You truly help so any people that might not go to a doctor because of what ever reasons, and you help others by calming their fears! So Thank You!

God Bless, Jane
 Dr. Leigh Anderson - Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:47 pm

User avatar Hi Jane,

Unfortunately, some of the qualities that make a woman's uterus such an ideal breeding chamber for a growing fetus—warmth and moisture—also make it an ideal breeding ground for bacteria. And bacterial infections in the uterus can cause considerable pelvic pain.

Urinary tract infections (UTIs) can also cause pelvic pain in both men and women. Women are much more likely to suffer from UTIs, Another major cause of pelvic pain is pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)—an inflammation of the fallopian tubes. Sexually transmitted disease is the most likely cause of PID, but other types of infection may also be to blame.

In some cases, your doctor may be able to pinpoint the cause of the pain as soon as you describe its nature and location. If PID is your problem, for example, you'll hurt on both sides of the pelvis. On the other hand, pain from a ruptured ovarian cyst comes on suddenly, more on one side than the other.

Endometriosis—a growth of the uterine lining outside of the uterus—causes chronic pelvic pain, painful periods and painful intercourse. Ectopic or tubal pregnancy also causes pelvic pain.

In any event keep in close contact with your Doctor, having pelvic pain is NOT Normal and a treatment for the continued pain needs to be addressed immediately.

Thank You For posting your concerns.

Dr. Anderson
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:34 am

User avatar Hi Jane5182,
During you visit with your physician did you have a pelvic exam, labwork, an ultrasound (abdominal/pelvic/transvaginal) or any other diagnostic studies? Your symptoms are somewhat concerning and would indicate further investigation to identify the causative factor. As Dr. Anderson instructed, pelvic pain is not normal and needs to be addressed immediately. I certainly hope that you have done so. Best wishes.

|