Question: Abdominal pain behind belly button

ama_nan - Wed Aug 04, 2004 11:54 am

I am a 22 year old female with a history of anxiety and panic attacks. Other than the constant anxiety I am pretty much a healthy woman up until a couple of months ago when I started having all these strange symptoms that don’t seem to run together.
The first symptom to show up was this abdominal pain that was behind my belly button that felt like a deep stabbing pain. I went to the doctor and he said that it may be a hernia from a previous pregnancy (my son is 1 year old) I was thinking that I could be pregnant again so I set an appointment with my OB because I was convinced that there was something more. It was stressing me to the point where I cried every few minutes. My OB concluded that it is pregnancy pains and that there is no hernia and when I stressed the fact that was not what it was that there was something wrong he laughed it off and told me I was worrying.

Well the pain has been gone for a week and now I have these symptoms of a cold sinus congestion, chest congestion (with basically non productive cough and achy chest) I also began getting the sore throat which is not tender in the throat but rather on the outside of my neck (is this possible?) It is not constant but changes from side to side and may or may not ache. Now that I have had these symptoms for a couple of days, my stomach is beginning to hurt in the same manner except it is no longer located only at the belly button but radiated from there all over my lower abdomen. It is causing me high anxiety and panic attacks which are not good for me to deal with but also I am 8 weeks pregnant.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:19 am

User avatar Dear ama_nan,

Abdominal pain is sometimes difficult to diagnose. The diagnosis of the cause of abdominal pain relies entirely on the associated other symptoms and the physical examination.

Having pain around the umbilicus (belly button) might point to early stages of any abdominal process like appendicitis or intestinal obstruction or having an infection in the umbilicu or having a hernia in it, but is it specific? The answer is no.

You did not mention whether you are having any other symptoms like burning urination for example (points to urinary tract infection for example) or nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, is the pain related to food in any way, does it improve by anything, anything makes it worse?

i think that when you went to your doctor, he asked you all of these questins and then he/she performed a physical exam. Now, comes the phydical examination which points to the source of the pain in most of the cases. Sometimes, some confirmatory tests are needed for the diagnosis as well like ct scans of the abdomen or blood tests to make sure that the organs in the abdomen like the liver or the pancreas for example are not either the cause of the pain or affected by the process in any way.

Regarding your cold symptoms and the belly button pain, i think that they might be two different and separate entities.

Is there a possibility that they might be connected to each other and the answer is yes, it is possible, this usually occurs in children who get a sore throat and have inflammation of the throat and then swallow the pus instead of spitting it and this leads to abdominal pain.

Can pregnancy cause the abdominal pain, yes it can and it can also cause the nasal and sinus congestion type symptoms as well.

If you are having cough, that was continuous and hard, it might lead to abdominal muscle strain and pain as well.

Regarding your neck pain, yes the pain can sometime be referred to somewhere else other than the original site of inflammation.

Your neck pain can be totally unrelated to your other symptoms.

If the abdominal pain continues, you have to see your doctor once more, a ct scan of the abdomen this early in pregnancy, i think is not recommended unless it is absolutely necessary.

|