News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   
 

 Headlines:

 
 

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gynecology Answers List

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Tampon left in for over 1 week! HELP


 kiwi1515 - Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:26 pm

I'm an 18 year old female, who has always used tampons regularly during my period.

A week and a half ago I was in the middle of my period and I guess got a little to intoxicated and when I got home, I didn't notice that I still had a tampon in (I guess the string had come off)...And so kinda suddenly my period had stopped...which I was kind of used to because I had been having shorter periods the last couple months. And then lately, this past week, I have been having this weird runny discharge, that would just come whenever it chose to. The colour of it was sort of a light brownish colour and it also had an odor attached to it as well. And then today, I was doing a "number 2", I found out that while my 'stool' came out...so did a tampon!

What should I do...because of the discharge I was having and its colour...I was told it was probably just a 'cleaning out' of old blood cells or something like that...but that the odor might be an infection or something...

Might I have Toxic Shock Syndrome?? And if 'maybe' should I see a doctor or gynecologist and also, would a pap test detect this?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:24 pm

User avatar Toxic shock syndrome is the most serious possible effect of a tampon remaining in too long and possibly becoming infected with staph bacteria. It is rare for this type infection to put out the toxins that cause this problem. If you had it you would develop signs of serious infection. So you should watch for sudden high fever, chills, vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, sunburn-like rash, muscle aches, and confusion. These are symptoms that should be acted on immediately.

The odor could be a sign of some infection and in most cases this does not lead to toxic shock. Talk to your doctor to see if there is a need for any antibiotics due to odor which could be caused by a bacteria. It may just be foul-smelling because it is old. Now that it has been removed you may not have further problems.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

 

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)
 

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

 
     

 advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

 

 

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

 
Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here