Question: Hernia diagnosis, Surgeon can't feel it, ct scan ordered

problems101 - Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:17 pm

Obgyn says pelvic pain is a hernia, and to see a surgeon, He kind of sounds unsure but thinks the surgeon can truely evaluate this. he said it's rare in females but We have a family furniture business so I told him I do lift.

Seems wierd to contact a surgeon when unsure.

I don't know what the surgeon will do. Is there a test for this?

D
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:48 pm

It sounds to me like your doctor feels quite certain it is a hernia and since this requires a surgeon to repair, it makes sense to refer you there. With your line of work, it is true you are at risk for this condition.

problems101 - Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:50 pm

My obgyn mentioned that at this surgery time I should deal with my period issues of irregular periods and heavier bleeding. This new obgyn suggests that my clots aren't necessarily heavy bleeding because My hemoglobin. . . is good.

Is there somthing that addresses heavy bleeding that doesn't effect fertility.

I don't' think I want anything hanging outside of me, I don't think I want an i u d.

Can you give me any websites, or options I could look up. I know of novasure -- anything else?

D
 problems101 - Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:34 am

I'm getting ready to quit. Is it possible that people just have a pain that they live with? I'm 40 this pelvic/abdominal pain , no one has an answer for, All I know is I'm not feeling well. Surgeon said He's not saying it's not there, he just can't feel it & he's not cutting me open for nothing, he added if this doesn't find anything he'll do a scope through the belly button & look for something.

I guess this is how it has to be? or is it ok to give up & just live with it?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:22 pm

I can feel your frustration, but you don't give a lot of information here. If this is a continuation of another post, you may want to add it there so it makes sense.

Your title says CT scan is ordered so it sounds like they are trying to find the problem. Unfortunately there are times when a condition has to actually get worse before a diagnosis can be made. Medicine is a combination of art and science, with some intuition thrown in. It is not possible to know everything and even to always diagnose every condition. We tend to believe anything is possible in these days of high-tech machines and lab capabilities, but the truth is there is still much about the human body that we don't understand. We do much better now than say, 100 years ago, but we haven't yet reached the Star Trek scanning capabilities where the computer can diagnose anything with a wave of the wand.

It is difficult when you are in pain and you don't know the cause. I can only suggest that you continue to be diligent about tracking your symptoms and letting your doctor know these. More clues may arise as you go along. Of course, you can always seek a second opinion as well. This does not imply incompetence; just the fact that no one doctor is perfect and sometimes another can see something the first one missed.

problems101 - Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:18 am

I appreciate your thoughts. I have an appt monday with my obgyn/ so if you prefer not to comment I understand

Hernia ruled out. That's what the surgeon said, I asked for a copy of the report. He didn't read it to me but there is more info on here, now that I left the office I have a couple of questions.

techniques says i had an intravenous injection of 100cc omnipaque. in addition delayed sections wer obtained through the kidneys & urninary bladder.and it was performed after oral administration of omnipaque to delineate the gastrointestinal tract.

ct pelvis iodine contrast:
no hernia, ovaries symmetric L 3.9 right3.8. The Patient, I believe,probably has a bicornuate or septated uterus. no fluid in the pelvis. urinary bladder is distended depite patient having just catheterized herself. sigmoid are not opacified with oral contrast, no mesentreric inflammatory process is seen & no evidence of diverticulitis,

In the upper abdomen there is a fatty infiltration of the liver, spleen measures 14cm. no adrenal mass,

The rest of the stuff listed as normal.

could this bicornuate or septated uterus cause a dull ache??

thanks
Diane
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:02 pm

User avatar Hello again,
It is possible, though not common, to have some pain associated but it could also be from something else (probably more likely). You may benefit from urological studies to see if there is any other condition. Some people have duplicate ureters or other abnormalities that don't readily show up on ultrasound. It is complicated to determine cause of pain in the abdomen because there are so many organs there which could have problems.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Debbie
 problems101 - Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:00 pm

I have 2 issues, heavy menstrual bleeding with clotting which turns into spotting for up to 20 days, & the pelvis ache,

Doctors say it's 2 separtate issues. I asked about novasure & you mentioned miriana because I wanted to maintain fertility even though I'm 40 yrs old. If what I read is true about miscarriages likely because of this type of uterus -- it changes my belief about fertility== It would be worse to lose a baby after all these years of trying.

So Is it true? === this kind of uterus = miscarriage.

I do thank you for your time. I have an obgyn appt Monday afternoon.
Diane

P.S I went to my md's & got my test papers, one report says nabothian cyst on cervix. and my new obgyn on one report mentions he wants to talk to my about D& C hysteroscopy & radio ablation. My previous obgyn said he wouldn't do a d &C -- they don't work

|